Skip to main content

solsc.2012: just another day 30/31








Join the challenge and write!
Slice of Life Stories hosted by the



Just another day, except
it was my birthday and
I had the week off (for spring break).

Just another day, except
my girls shared "Happy birthday Momma!" and
two hand drawn cards with Grandma's help.

Just another day, except
my mom wrote a sweet
tribute slice about me.

Just another day, except
I had time with my mom for
the first-of-the-season mani-pedi treat.

Just another day, except
I took time to read, closed my eyes, and
allowed myself a nap on the couch.

Just another day, except
my brother created a delicious
birthday dinner with my family.

Just another day, except
I made a wish, blew out candles
on a chocolate fudge cake.

Just another day, except
my dad and brother surprised me with
my favorite hydrangeas.

Just another day, except
I received another thoughtful gift --
a book of slices - volume two!

Just another day, except
it was a day that allowed me
the opportunity to feel really special.


Click on the buttons to return to the TWT blog.

Comments

  1. You have such a great way of expressing yourself and creating poetry. Glad you had such a wonderful "just another day". Every day is "just another day" and each one of them is special - but birthdays are the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! It sounds like a wonderful week for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Michelle (a day late but still a million good wishes) I think our birthdays should be special no matter how old we are...so good for you that your day was made special!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A perfect birthday day. Not that a birthday is about gifts but all the gifts you listed in the poem are precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - a lot of love in that day and in that post. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like it was a wonderful day! I like how you contrasted the first line with the surpise that was to come. It makes me think you were feeling like there weren't any plans, but upon reflection and delighting in all the little things it became much more than another day. It's your day and everyone celebrated you! I love that you "allowed" yourself a nap - good for you! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad that you have "birthday afterglow" on the day after your birthday, and it's still spring break! AHHHHH! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday! And it sounds as though you 've had a perfect celebration. What a thoughtful family you have....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Birthdays are the day to feel special. Your family did that for you. This poems lets them know how special it was for you. Another lovely poem I wish I had thought of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! You gave yourself a wonderful gift- yet another creative poem. How do you come up with this stuff? Each of the thoughtful, special touches on your day are well-deserved. Continue to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Michelle! I'm glad it was a great one. I enjoyed this birthday slice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday to you.
    And thank you for sharing your day in this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really fine birthday memory poem, Michelle. I love the repetition & the structure you chose. It seems that you had a wonderful day & I'm so happy for you. Here's to another year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like you had a really fun birthday! I'm wondering if you are going to keep slicing in poems all next month for April- it's National Poetry Month, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday! Hope there's enough chocolate fudge cake left over to enjoy tomorrow-- :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

An Interview with Educator/Momma/Writer Ruth Ayres Celebrating #EnticingWriters + Giveaway!

I love sharing book titles with close friends, so I'm happy you are here! I want to share a book that you must add to your to-be-read list. Ruth Ayres has a brand new book titled  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers   published by Stenhouse Publishers. It's another must read from Ruth. There are many professional development books available to learn about mastering our craft of teaching.   However, there are only a few that make a true impact -- and this is one book that weaves raw truth, research, practical ideas, and story all in one {cute} little package.  In  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers , Ruth allows her worlds to collide during the creation:  "In this book, I entwine my three story lines as educator, momma, and writer." (p. 6) And she does this in an amazing way through sharing stories of her family, adoption, children living in hard places -- and doing their best  -- and healing. She shares how we can use research ...

soLs: a week

Slice of Life Stories hosted by the  Two Writing Teachers I can't believe it's already been one whole week. Sometimes vacations are over in a blink, but other times vacations move slowly to enjoy every moment.  That's how this vacation is going - slowly, but with so much to enjoy. Of course, it is hard being away from home and the every-day-usual, but what I have truly enjoyed the most is the evenings.  After the girls are tucked in bed, it becomes my time to do what I choose to do because I have NO to-do list!  Nothing!  No cleaning, no laundry (thanks Mom!), no dinner (thanks Dad!), no dishes, no nothing.  Instead I have guilt-free time to read books, browse Twitter, catch up on blog reading, scrounge...

soLs: a (proud) little secret

Slice of Life Stories hosted by the  Two Writing Teachers Come here.   Come closer.   I have a secret to share with you.   I'm really excited about it and I haven't told anyone except my mom , my hubby, and my friend, colleague, and writing buddy . I receive notifications of comments on my blog on my email at school.  I think all of you will agree, it's always exciting to see that a new comment was left behind.  It never gets old.  Everyone loves a visitor, a voice that let's you know that you've been heard, and a comment that keeps you writing. I know I don't say it enough, but I really appreciate when YOU stop by and YOU leave a little note because YOU matter to me.   Most comments pour in on Tuesday as slicers are doing their very best to read and leave a supportive note that day.  A few comments tr...