Skip to main content

SOLSC: Ten Things - 28/31

The Slice of Life Story Challenge 
is hosted by the Two Writing Teachers.
Ten Things

I'm starting to reread some favorite books for several reasons, including reading with new eyes: the eyes of a writer.

In the delightful book Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo, Opal challenges her father to tell her ten things (one thing for each year she has been alive) about her mama because she doesn't remember her.  Opal also starts to create a list of ten things she knows about her dog, Winn-Dixie.  I decided to create my own "ten things I know about" list . . . the number ten (not for my age!) but because I thought it was a solid number.  I'm thinking this is a great way for kids to reflect on their learning as well!

Ten Things I Know about the 'Slice of Life Story Challenge'

One.  SOLSC awakened me to writing, blogging, and sharing with others.

Two.  SOLSC opened my eyes, ears, and heart to the life around me, waiting to be woven into words.

Three.  SOLSC helped me reflect on my life and capture those moments I don't want to forget.

Four.  SOLSC motivated me to write.  Every day.

Five.  SOLSC encouraged me to collaborate with thinkers, writers, poets, teachers, mentors, mothers, and digital experts all over the world.

Six.  SOLSC allowed me to devour diverse writing from a variety of authors opening their hearts, minds, and lives.

Seven.  SOLSC taught me to read like a writer and experiment with new styles.

Eight.  SOLSC taught me the true power of words.

Nine.  SOLSC provided me comments, thoughts, reactions, and support from members of the writing community.

Ten.  SOLSC has me excited for next March and I will be encouraging others to join!
(Yes, Mom, including you!)

Comments

  1. ME TOO! This is my 4th SOLSC year, and I am here most Tuesdays during the year as well. I love it. It has improved my writing, and my teaching, and me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All so very true. My mind was on this same road today. Thanks for spelling out my realizations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for saying such a good ten things! It's been awesome to meet so many new people, as you said-teachers, writers, mothers, fathers, etc., and to listen to their ideas, read their writing, see their art. I think we sometimes lose something when we work with the same group, even if we love it. My colleague & I who are doing this together are going to try very hard to find more from our school to join us, but if not, we'll return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This challenge has really built your confidence and writing abilities. It was always "there", but now you're putting it in print. Keep up the good work, it will not only help you with your students, but also with your girls. As for me, I'd better start writing now so that I'd have enough to write about for a whole month! Love, M

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can easily relate to your decalogue of SOLSC. This has been a thrilling experience and positive beyond belief. It is just sad that there isn't enough time to read all the posts every day.
    Terje

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with everything everybody said! This has been a life altering experience for me and I have loved every minute of it!

    Happy Writing

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your list. It summaries what I feel. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your list and I immediately started prioritizing them to describe my own experience. It is hard to choose but I think I'll go with #7...today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

{40 reasons} #sol15

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. _____________________________________________________ Today my husband celebrates a big, BIG birthday -- and I'm so lucky and thankful to have spent  the last sixteen years learning about everything that he loves the last (almost) twelve years learning about everything that I love about him the last (almost) five years learning with my daughters why we love our Daddy. Created at canva.com _____________________________________________________ Happy, happy 40th birthday Jon!

An Interview with Educator/Momma/Writer Ruth Ayres Celebrating #EnticingWriters + Giveaway!

I love sharing book titles with close friends, so I'm happy you are here! I want to share a book that you must add to your to-be-read list. Ruth Ayres has a brand new book titled  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers   published by Stenhouse Publishers. It's another must read from Ruth. There are many professional development books available to learn about mastering our craft of teaching.   However, there are only a few that make a true impact -- and this is one book that weaves raw truth, research, practical ideas, and story all in one {cute} little package.  In  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers , Ruth allows her worlds to collide during the creation:  "In this book, I entwine my three story lines as educator, momma, and writer." (p. 6) And she does this in an amazing way through sharing stories of her family, adoption, children living in hard places -- and doing their best  -- and healing. She shares how we can use research to understand how to

{#sol15} 10 Tips for the Challenge

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. Last Saturday morning, I didn't need to wake up early.  I wanted to go back to sleep.  But instead my brain was awake and thinking.  Creating this list.  Writing this post.   Many of us are embarking on an adventure - the Slice of Life Story Challenge.  Writing, sharing, and commenting for thirty-one days in March. Want to learn more about the SOLSC?  Check out Stacey's post {HERE} about the challenge hosted by the "Fab Six" over at the Two Writing Teachers ' blog.   I hope you find these tips for the challenge helpful whether you are a first-time slicer (cue confetti!) or a year five slicer like me. 1. Before the challenge