Skip to main content

{reflecting on my writing} 30/31 #sol18

__________________________________________________

The March Slice of Life Story Challenge
hosted at the Two Writing Teachers.
Join us for a month of writing!
__________________________________________________


My birthday is over, but I am so thankful for all the birthday wishes and reflecting back on all that I believe in. I also love to reflect back on my year of writing. However, I rarely take the time to click through my own blog.

I have something even better.

You see, my parents give me the best gift of all: My slices and blog posts from each year published in my very own book. This week I received volume 13. Over 100 pages -- from January's first post {Sigh.} to my last post of 2017 in mid-November, my interview with my friend/educator/momma/writer Ruth Ayres. I guess I took a break from writing in December!


I took time yesterday, on my birthday, to read and ponder all the words and stories I created over the last year. I'm still amazed that I started this journey in 2011, when my baby girls were a mere nine months old. And in a month they will be 8 years old! I have captured many stories, not all, but so many stories that I will treasure and share with my daughters.

This amazing book also includes your words. Your comments, your words of encouragement, your opinions, your thoughts, your stories too.

Thank you for being a part of my life -- here, in my little corner of the world. Some of you live near, some of you live far, some of you I know in real life, some of you I have been lucky enough to meet, and some of you I will meet one day with a big hug ...

But ALL of you have a big heart for stories and connecting and supporting.

That's the foundation of this community that Ruth and Stacey created many years ago through Two Writing Teachers. I am still in awe that I get to be a part of something so amazing.

And there is still one more day to go in this March challenge. So, I encourage you today: Keep writing! Keep sharing your story! Keep being a part of this something amazing!

Comments

  1. You have written about this book before, and every time you do, I think, "what an amazing gift." I wish someone would do this for me! I remember really distinctly, when you were writing about potty training the girls! I can't believe they are almost eight! Happy birthday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're so glad that you are enjoying your gift and revisiting all that you have written and shared. I've printed off all of my years too and, it always amazes me that I can write. The comments really do make each slice important and cherished. One day the girls will read your words and mine and be in awe of what we have shared. One day, they too will be writing and sharing their thoughts. Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gift of the past! These volumes will be treasured by future generations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an incredible gift from your parents! This is a beautiful idea. I also love that they include the comments. I know that the comments on my blog are a big part of the writing and thinking for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that we've known each other for eight years in this writing world. One day we'll have tea in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle, this is wonderful. What a perfect idea. I'm thinking of all of the stories I have enjoyed as I have stopped by your blog: stories of your daughters, times you traveled to be with your parents, experiences in your classroom, and the interesting ways you craft a post. So thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....and happy belated birthday. I'm sure I've told you before that you share a birthday with my mom. It's a great day, for sure!

      Delete
  7. I think I remember you writing about this before! What an incredible gift! I love that they also include the comments with the posts, since that's part of what makes blogging so meaningful! I can imagine you sitting down to flip through these with your daughters in your lap! Yay for you and your blogging journey, and for a supportive family who encourages and values that journey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is so amazing that your parents do this for you every year. What an amazing gift.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

{40 reasons} #sol15

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. _____________________________________________________ Today my husband celebrates a big, BIG birthday -- and I'm so lucky and thankful to have spent  the last sixteen years learning about everything that he loves the last (almost) twelve years learning about everything that I love about him the last (almost) five years learning with my daughters why we love our Daddy. Created at canva.com _____________________________________________________ Happy, happy 40th birthday Jon!

An Interview with Educator/Momma/Writer Ruth Ayres Celebrating #EnticingWriters + Giveaway!

I love sharing book titles with close friends, so I'm happy you are here! I want to share a book that you must add to your to-be-read list. Ruth Ayres has a brand new book titled  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers   published by Stenhouse Publishers. It's another must read from Ruth. There are many professional development books available to learn about mastering our craft of teaching.   However, there are only a few that make a true impact -- and this is one book that weaves raw truth, research, practical ideas, and story all in one {cute} little package.  In  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers , Ruth allows her worlds to collide during the creation:  "In this book, I entwine my three story lines as educator, momma, and writer." (p. 6) And she does this in an amazing way through sharing stories of her family, adoption, children living in hard places -- and doing their best  -- and healing. She shares how we can use research to understand how to

{#sol15} 10 Tips for the Challenge

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. Last Saturday morning, I didn't need to wake up early.  I wanted to go back to sleep.  But instead my brain was awake and thinking.  Creating this list.  Writing this post.   Many of us are embarking on an adventure - the Slice of Life Story Challenge.  Writing, sharing, and commenting for thirty-one days in March. Want to learn more about the SOLSC?  Check out Stacey's post {HERE} about the challenge hosted by the "Fab Six" over at the Two Writing Teachers ' blog.   I hope you find these tips for the challenge helpful whether you are a first-time slicer (cue confetti!) or a year five slicer like me. 1. Before the challenge