Skip to main content

{graphic novel readers} 28/31 #sol18

__________________________________________________

The March Slice of Life Story Challenge
hosted at the Two Writing Teachers.
Join us for a month of writing!
__________________________________________________


My almost eight year old girls are swimming in the seas of graphic novels. They started with the popular "classics" of Smile and Sisters. I read these books years ago, but cannot recall the details of the content. I wonder if it's appropriate for second graders, but I understand that some things will just go over their heads. I decided I better reread these books, but also thought about introducing them to another graphic novel series I thought they would enjoy: Babymouse.

I brought home the first five books in the series and Peyton devoured three of them in two days. I agreed to bring home the rest of the series -- all 20 of them -- for spring break. She finds pockets of time to read and she told me tonight that she only has three books left to read in the series.

I teased her, "So, when someone asks you what you did over spring break, you can tell them you read all 20 books in the Babymouse series!"

"Yeah. I wonder what series I should read next," she pondered.

"Well, I also brought home the Bad Guys series and you started The Babysitter's Club graphic novel series too. You could also read something that is not a graphic novel ..." I suggested.

"Nah. I'm really liking graphic novels now," she stated matter-of-factly.

That's what I love to hear: A reader who knows what she wants to read and is already thinking about her next book.


Comments

  1. My seventh graders, even the ones that don't read, LOVE graphic novels. I can't keep them on the shelf-- they read them, take them home, hide them in their lockers-- it's wonderful and terrible at the same time! I'm so glad your girls are becoming readers. Have they tried the LUNCH LADY series?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely see their Mother in these pictures - not only the reading, but the resemblance as well. Such a great trait that you are encouraging them to follow. Love ya'll, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! So fun to have passionate graphic novel readers! What about Ben Hatke's Zita the Spacegirl series and of course Judd Winick's HiLo? Those aren't long series, though. Lunch Lady is a good idea. Maybe the Amulet series? Squish series (also by Holm). Sorry, just can't stop bookmatchmaking sometimes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a voracious reader! Of course Miss P has a reading plan :) I'm wondering what her sister is reading (or creating). I just bought two Narwal and Jelly books by Ben Clanton. DogMan is a big hit in my room this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little girl is a self-directed reader, knowing her self, setting goals. Way to go! Graphic novels have hooked several boys who considered them selves non-readers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you are letter her read them! And as many as she wants. It always hurts when I hear a parent tell a child not to read another graphic novel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son is in his first year of teaching and has third graders. He was talking about the way his kids devour a series. His kids will be excited to hear he just received the newest Bad Guys in the mail over spring break. We smiled over the fact that series books seem to be the hook that gets them every time. I think you have a reader on your hands.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

{40 reasons} #sol15

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. _____________________________________________________ Today my husband celebrates a big, BIG birthday -- and I'm so lucky and thankful to have spent  the last sixteen years learning about everything that he loves the last (almost) twelve years learning about everything that I love about him the last (almost) five years learning with my daughters why we love our Daddy. Created at canva.com _____________________________________________________ Happy, happy 40th birthday Jon!

An Interview with Educator/Momma/Writer Ruth Ayres Celebrating #EnticingWriters + Giveaway!

I love sharing book titles with close friends, so I'm happy you are here! I want to share a book that you must add to your to-be-read list. Ruth Ayres has a brand new book titled  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers   published by Stenhouse Publishers. It's another must read from Ruth. There are many professional development books available to learn about mastering our craft of teaching.   However, there are only a few that make a true impact -- and this is one book that weaves raw truth, research, practical ideas, and story all in one {cute} little package.  In  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers , Ruth allows her worlds to collide during the creation:  "In this book, I entwine my three story lines as educator, momma, and writer." (p. 6) And she does this in an amazing way through sharing stories of her family, adoption, children living in hard places -- and doing their best  -- and healing. She shares how we can use research to understand how to

{#sol15} 10 Tips for the Challenge

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. Last Saturday morning, I didn't need to wake up early.  I wanted to go back to sleep.  But instead my brain was awake and thinking.  Creating this list.  Writing this post.   Many of us are embarking on an adventure - the Slice of Life Story Challenge.  Writing, sharing, and commenting for thirty-one days in March. Want to learn more about the SOLSC?  Check out Stacey's post {HERE} about the challenge hosted by the "Fab Six" over at the Two Writing Teachers ' blog.   I hope you find these tips for the challenge helpful whether you are a first-time slicer (cue confetti!) or a year five slicer like me. 1. Before the challenge