Skip to main content

{solsc reflection} 31/31 #sol16


The March Slice of Life Story Challenge
hosted at the Two Writing Teachers
Join us for a month of writing!
__________________________________________________

I did it.  I wrote for all thirty-one days in March.

This being my sixth year participating, it felt different than any other year.  I never stressed about the writing.  I never worried the stories wouldn't be there.  I wrote for me, to capture stories, to live in the moment. I let go of any worry about my writing.  It was quite a relaxing March challenge.

All my slices were written in real time. The true meaning of a slice of life.  A story from the day.
None of it was perfect.  Some slice were well planned, thought out, and crafted.  Others were just written and shared.

I usually like to write at night.  Reread, edit, and publish the next morning.  Usually didn't cooperate this year.  My schedule and life didn't allow myself this time or energy.  Many late night posts squeezed in and published in the last hours of the day.  But I wrote every day.

I usually spend my down time reading your slices.  Each year there are more and more and more writers joining in this journey.  It makes it difficult to keep up and read all my special slicers' writing and new slicers' stories.  Again, time did not permit me to join in and read as much as I had hoped.

However, it still mattered more than ever that you were here to read my stories. I appreciated each and every comment, adding your voice to the conversation and connecting with my story.  The community at the Two Writing Teachers amazes me.  Thank you for joining me on this journey.

I believe that over the last five years, I found that I had the urge to continue writing days into April. That writing habit was formed and the writing bug bit me.  Hard.  This year is different.  This year I'm looking to put my laptop away and refocus my life on other priorities.  I need time for my family. I need time to read.  I need time to reflect.  I'll still have my notebook and I'll still capture stories.  But I need this time for me.

And I'll still have my Tuesdays.  See you back here then.

Comments

  1. Yes, you are a writer - someone who provides mentor texts for others. Thanks for the writing nudge every March. It's incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is a journey - you need different things at different times. Listen to what you need, don't regret or feel guilty. It all comes back around. Thank you for sharing and responding. Look forward to connecting on Tuesday.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your slice echoed so much with me this year. My slice offers some of the same tidbits tonight. I wrote it real-time, and enjoyed making the time to do it, but I'm not sure I did it well...and sitting here, tonight, that disappoints me. But, like you say, we have our stories, right? And these are valuable with littles -- these are what will stay even when we don't. So, we have 31 new ones! And next year, we'll have 31 new pieces to add to the patchwork quilt of childhood. :)

    Have you moved? Wishing you and yours a delightful spring!
    b

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your slice echoed so much with me this year. My slice offers some of the same tidbits tonight. I wrote it real-time, and enjoyed making the time to do it, but I'm not sure I did it well...and sitting here, tonight, that disappoints me. But, like you say, we have our stories, right? And these are valuable with littles -- these are what will stay even when we don't. So, we have 31 new ones! And next year, we'll have 31 new pieces to add to the patchwork quilt of childhood. :)

    Have you moved? Wishing you and yours a delightful spring!
    b

    ReplyDelete
  5. As usual you said it perfectly Michelle, the slices didn't have to be "perfect" because after all, life isn't always perfect. It's funny I felt more relaxed this year, I attributed it to being retired but maybe not .... Loved connecting with you each day! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto what Lynn said. It was easier for some reason this year. The stories came without a lot of "what am I going to write today" questions. You have a knack for putting life into perspective showing the wonderful side as well as the vulnerable side. Keep the notebook handy and continue sharing on Tuesdays. Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the slices you wrote about the girls this year. When the girls get older, I know they are going to love reading back on these. I'm trying to get up my courage to write poetry with Mary Lee this month. Not sure I can pull it off!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sitting on a train, Friday evening at 7p.m., after a school day and a workshop ( one I didn't have to lead, thankfully), heading home, I read your words and smile. Many who started slicing with us six years ago have stopped. I miss them. The more joy it is that you keep writing, showing up, sharing your every day moments, connecting. Hugs to you my friend. See you on Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. EnJOY your me and family time!

    Thank you for sharing your wonderful words.
    Thank you for encouraging me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes we just need to log off and slow ourselves down. See you on Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

{40 reasons} #sol15

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. _____________________________________________________ Today my husband celebrates a big, BIG birthday -- and I'm so lucky and thankful to have spent  the last sixteen years learning about everything that he loves the last (almost) twelve years learning about everything that I love about him the last (almost) five years learning with my daughters why we love our Daddy. Created at canva.com _____________________________________________________ Happy, happy 40th birthday Jon!

An Interview with Educator/Momma/Writer Ruth Ayres Celebrating #EnticingWriters + Giveaway!

I love sharing book titles with close friends, so I'm happy you are here! I want to share a book that you must add to your to-be-read list. Ruth Ayres has a brand new book titled  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers   published by Stenhouse Publishers. It's another must read from Ruth. There are many professional development books available to learn about mastering our craft of teaching.   However, there are only a few that make a true impact -- and this is one book that weaves raw truth, research, practical ideas, and story all in one {cute} little package.  In  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers , Ruth allows her worlds to collide during the creation:  "In this book, I entwine my three story lines as educator, momma, and writer." (p. 6) And she does this in an amazing way through sharing stories of her family, adoption, children living in hard places -- and doing their best  -- and healing. She shares how we can use research to understand how to

{#sol15} 10 Tips for the Challenge

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. Last Saturday morning, I didn't need to wake up early.  I wanted to go back to sleep.  But instead my brain was awake and thinking.  Creating this list.  Writing this post.   Many of us are embarking on an adventure - the Slice of Life Story Challenge.  Writing, sharing, and commenting for thirty-one days in March. Want to learn more about the SOLSC?  Check out Stacey's post {HERE} about the challenge hosted by the "Fab Six" over at the Two Writing Teachers ' blog.   I hope you find these tips for the challenge helpful whether you are a first-time slicer (cue confetti!) or a year five slicer like me. 1. Before the challenge