Skip to main content

soLs: voices from the lost and found


Slice of Life Stories hosted


Poetry fun! I've been perusing a variety of poetry books with my students.  I only read the title "Voices from the Lost and Found" from the book Don't Read This Book Whatever You Do: More Poems About School by Kalli Dakos and I knew I wanted to try it!  Every 'thing' needs a voice.  (The formatting is giving me some trouble!)







                                                                           "Hey! Wait! What are you doing?" 
                   
The lid opened, tossed inside.
Darkness.  Silence.  Set aside. 
                                                      
                      "Helloooo???  Oh no."


Yawn. S - t - r --e-- t - c - h.
Oh, what a catch!

"Ahem. Hello. I'm the president                      
of the lost and found at this instant."                 "Oh, hi. I won't be long.
                                                                          Chloe will find me, I don't belong."


"Yes, well, welcome to the lost and found.                
Are you coming from the playground?"            "I can't believe I'm stuck in a stink.
                                                                          It's quite crowded, don't you think?"

The door cracks open just a bit
with hopes and joys of being picked.

                                                                          "I'm here! I'm here! I'm the same!
                                                                           So glad you're here, glad you came..."

But instead, one mitten did appear
tears rolling down. . . drip, drip, fear.

"Welcome friends. You will see,                       
we are quite the family."                                     "Where, oh where, is my other pair?             
                                                                           Are you in here? It's just not fair."

"Don't you worry or shed a tear.
I hope to give you some cheer."                          "What am I supposed to do?
                                                                            There is no way that I can make do."

The lid opens again once more
A student wondering, that's for sure.

"Show yourself as best as you can
Don't get covered . . ." he began.


Digging, diving, tossing, and turn.
Lifting, searching, hoping to churn.
                  
                                    "What color is -- Is this it?
                                       No, I guess that's not a fit."

The lid slams shut. It's quiet again.
Then, all of a sudden, the cries began --

                                                                               "Who will miss us? Who will care?"
                                                                               "All we want is to do our share."






Comments

  1. I'll never think of the lost & found box the same way again. Delightful poem. Thanks for sharing. Love ya M

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to keep the words in the right place, isn't it? But this turned out just fine, Michelle. How great as you said to give things a "voice". Love it. As Judy said, when I walk by our lost & found, which I do every morning, I will look to see if anything is calling for help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this is a mentor text for sure--giving voice to things that we don't think of as having voice! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun poem! This just begs to be read aloud by all the different voices. The inferring on who the speaker is and why do you think so makes this such a great text. Well done, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Voices from the Lost and Found! Nice! Well done! Bravo! Yes, walking by the lost and found is familiar-even looking it-my son always seems to be losing something...I can hear those clothes speaking now! Your work gives them their voice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your poem is sparking ideas inside my head! "Yes welcome to the lost and found. Are you coming from the playground?" Great, this must be an universal school experience. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh just great, I could hear all the voices loud and clear. I love it when the president tell them all to show themselves and not to get covered. I could just see "some kid" shuffling through all the stuff without a care in the world. Great poem and so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed the use of dialogue and description. I could really picture the voice of the items! It sounds like you had fun experimenting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle,
    What a fun poem! I know what you mean about formatting. I wrote a poem in two voices last month and had the hardest time making the formatting work. I like the way you added colors to the voices. That's a great trick. I enjoyed listening to the calls from the lost and found. I'm not sure I will ever think of that area in our hall in quite the same way.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. How clever! Love this. This would make such a fun reading by multiple people. Love how you personified the lost and found items.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

An Interview with Educator/Momma/Writer Ruth Ayres Celebrating #EnticingWriters + Giveaway!

I love sharing book titles with close friends, so I'm happy you are here! I want to share a book that you must add to your to-be-read list. Ruth Ayres has a brand new book titled  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers   published by Stenhouse Publishers. It's another must read from Ruth. There are many professional development books available to learn about mastering our craft of teaching.   However, there are only a few that make a true impact -- and this is one book that weaves raw truth, research, practical ideas, and story all in one {cute} little package.  In  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers , Ruth allows her worlds to collide during the creation:  "In this book, I entwine my three story lines as educator, momma, and writer." (p. 6) And she does this in an amazing way through sharing stories of her family, adoption, children living in hard places -- and doing their best  -- and healing. She shares how we can use research ...

soLs: a week

Slice of Life Stories hosted by the  Two Writing Teachers I can't believe it's already been one whole week. Sometimes vacations are over in a blink, but other times vacations move slowly to enjoy every moment.  That's how this vacation is going - slowly, but with so much to enjoy. Of course, it is hard being away from home and the every-day-usual, but what I have truly enjoyed the most is the evenings.  After the girls are tucked in bed, it becomes my time to do what I choose to do because I have NO to-do list!  Nothing!  No cleaning, no laundry (thanks Mom!), no dinner (thanks Dad!), no dishes, no nothing.  Instead I have guilt-free time to read books, browse Twitter, catch up on blog reading, scrounge...

soLs: a (proud) little secret

Slice of Life Stories hosted by the  Two Writing Teachers Come here.   Come closer.   I have a secret to share with you.   I'm really excited about it and I haven't told anyone except my mom , my hubby, and my friend, colleague, and writing buddy . I receive notifications of comments on my blog on my email at school.  I think all of you will agree, it's always exciting to see that a new comment was left behind.  It never gets old.  Everyone loves a visitor, a voice that let's you know that you've been heard, and a comment that keeps you writing. I know I don't say it enough, but I really appreciate when YOU stop by and YOU leave a little note because YOU matter to me.   Most comments pour in on Tuesday as slicers are doing their very best to read and leave a supportive note that day.  A few comments tr...