Skip to main content

{comfort} 9/31 #sol17


__________________________________________________

The March Slice of Life Story Challenge
hosted at the Two Writing Teachers.
Join us for a month of writing!
__________________________________________________



During my pregnancy with our twins over seven years ago, my husband and I had many doctor visits.  I was considered "high risk" because of I was pregnant with multiples and because I was at the ripe old age of 34.  

On our way to our doctor appointments, Jon and I would religiously stop by a local PotBelly near the doctor's office for some comfort food and relaxing atmosphere.  It became our thing. Our date day together. Time to connect during the stress and excitement of the reality of bringing two new babies into this world.

This additional stop before our doctor appointments were eventually scheduled weekly a couple months into the pregnancy until the day our precious girls arrived. That's a lot of PotBelly time.

Yesterday I had an appointment near the same doctor's office.  I also had some time before my appointment and decided to stop by that same PotBelly. All those feelings of comfort returned as I walked inside. It felt right.

I was disappointed to find out that they no longer serve our favorite Big Jack's PB&J -- that was our serious comfort food.  I selected the Broccoli & Cheddar soup instead. Of course, I also grabbed a "Dream Bar." One can never go wrong with this heavenly treat.

So, there I sat, writing this little slice. Alone. Feeling tears of concern and worry and joy. And yet comfort too. Just as I did over seven years ago, even though there was nothing to worry about today. 

I took a deep breath before leaving for my appointment. I smiled as I thought about my total for today's comfort food: $7.77. 

A little comfort in numbers too.


Comments

  1. A great walk down memory lane - lots of good times and comforting thoughts. Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. One never knows when comfort comes your way, even in PB&J. It's a nice memory. Hard to believe these years have passed so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how a place can take on so much meaning based on what you associate it with. I could not get a cup of coffee for $7.77 where I live ... what a deal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The simplest things can always make us happy (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Food, feelings and memories. Slice of comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at the Dream Bar 😀. Loved your honest, comforting writing of this slice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It always amazes me how a place - the sights, sounds and smells - can bring you right back into the moment. I hope you find a time to get back there together for another day date.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was waiting for you to say that you and your husband had reinstated date nights at Potbelly's!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I could meet you at the PotBelly sometime.
    I need to look that up! It's a new name to me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

An Interview with Educator/Momma/Writer Ruth Ayres Celebrating #EnticingWriters + Giveaway!

I love sharing book titles with close friends, so I'm happy you are here! I want to share a book that you must add to your to-be-read list. Ruth Ayres has a brand new book titled  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers   published by Stenhouse Publishers. It's another must read from Ruth. There are many professional development books available to learn about mastering our craft of teaching.   However, there are only a few that make a true impact -- and this is one book that weaves raw truth, research, practical ideas, and story all in one {cute} little package.  In  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers , Ruth allows her worlds to collide during the creation:  "In this book, I entwine my three story lines as educator, momma, and writer." (p. 6) And she does this in an amazing way through sharing stories of her family, adoption, children living in hard places -- and doing their best  -- and healing. She shares how we can use research ...

soLs: a week

Slice of Life Stories hosted by the  Two Writing Teachers I can't believe it's already been one whole week. Sometimes vacations are over in a blink, but other times vacations move slowly to enjoy every moment.  That's how this vacation is going - slowly, but with so much to enjoy. Of course, it is hard being away from home and the every-day-usual, but what I have truly enjoyed the most is the evenings.  After the girls are tucked in bed, it becomes my time to do what I choose to do because I have NO to-do list!  Nothing!  No cleaning, no laundry (thanks Mom!), no dinner (thanks Dad!), no dishes, no nothing.  Instead I have guilt-free time to read books, browse Twitter, catch up on blog reading, scrounge...

soLs: a (proud) little secret

Slice of Life Stories hosted by the  Two Writing Teachers Come here.   Come closer.   I have a secret to share with you.   I'm really excited about it and I haven't told anyone except my mom , my hubby, and my friend, colleague, and writing buddy . I receive notifications of comments on my blog on my email at school.  I think all of you will agree, it's always exciting to see that a new comment was left behind.  It never gets old.  Everyone loves a visitor, a voice that let's you know that you've been heard, and a comment that keeps you writing. I know I don't say it enough, but I really appreciate when YOU stop by and YOU leave a little note because YOU matter to me.   Most comments pour in on Tuesday as slicers are doing their very best to read and leave a supportive note that day.  A few comments tr...