Skip to main content

{all writing} 12/31 #sol17

__________________________________________________
The March Slice of Life Story Challenge
hosted at the Two Writing Teachers.
Join us for a month of writing!
__________________________________________________

"What are we going to do after lunch?"

"I need to spend some time writing..." Thinking that I need to catch up and write two posts today. I like to be a day ahead with my slices and I skipped Friday night.

P. jumps up and down. "Yes! Can we? I can write on my iPad! We can have a writing afternoon! What are you going to write about?"

"I don't know yet ..."

We settle at the dining room table. The girls grab their iPads and sit one on each side of me and scooch their chairs in closer. They bring their scrapbooks that Grandma made them from when they were babies.

I visit a few blogs. Leave comments. And sit and watch the writers that surround me. 

One of my girls is busy typing, adding drawings, and inserting photos. 

"Look at this. I drew this picture." 

"Shhh ... Please be quiet. I'm recording."


The other is recording her voice to add to her photos that she took of herself as a baby from the baby scrapbook. 


They have found the love of creating and writing using the Story Creator app and have written many books.  I'm amazed at how they jump in. Ideas flowing. Add. Delete. Add some more. No fear or reservation. As if all of this is fun to do -- 

"What are you writing now?" My writing thoughts quickly interrupted as I was writing the scene that was playing out in front of me.

I read my slice aloud. It was approved by my editors. 

"Oh, you are writing about us now."

"Hey, that's what I said. Are those talking marks? Why did you slant the words? What are you going to write next?"

I answer the rapid fire questions and try to get back into my writing moment. I'm quickly reminded why I like to write alone without interruption in the quiet of the night ... with my other two busy, active, talking writers, this may be the best I can do today.

*Ring! Ring!* 

"Oh, I bet that's Grandma ..." I jump up and answer the phone. 

"Hi! Are you busy?"

"Oh, I'm just trying to finish my slice ..."



Comments

  1. I LOVE this! Especially seeing how your daughters have taken their inspiration from you to work on their own writing. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is WONDERFUL! I felt like I was sitting in the room with you, watching your daughters learn from you! My daughter has been increasingly interested in my blogging... a side benefit I hadn't anticipated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So wonderful to witness their interest in writing. They know so much already! Thank you for this wonderful snapshot of your girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome that you encourage your daughters this way - their enthusiasm is palpable and invaluable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Writers in the making. Such a great role model you are. They have the tools, the imagination and encouragement. Glad that I could add to your challenge! Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL- love the example you are setting. Glad you were able to complete your slice and allow them to be a part as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Inquiring minds want to know, and you have a couple of the cutest minds. What a great way to spend some time and write!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great! I love how unafraid children are to put themselves out there with writing - I used to write plays and stories constnatly with my friends. I still have quite a few of them saved on my laptop to look back on, and laugh.

    (hannanabanana, hannahshappenigs.net)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this slice! Three authors working together! Although I kinda do wonder how you finish anything!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this. Even though your writing got interrupted, it is such a great writing moment. I love that your girls see you writing and see them selves as writers. Super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this slice. It is the essence of creating real writers who wrote for meaningful purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my heart, those girls are mini Michelles when it comes to writing! Can't wait until they are published!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

An Interview with Educator/Momma/Writer Ruth Ayres Celebrating #EnticingWriters + Giveaway!

I love sharing book titles with close friends, so I'm happy you are here! I want to share a book that you must add to your to-be-read list. Ruth Ayres has a brand new book titled  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers   published by Stenhouse Publishers. It's another must read from Ruth. There are many professional development books available to learn about mastering our craft of teaching.   However, there are only a few that make a true impact -- and this is one book that weaves raw truth, research, practical ideas, and story all in one {cute} little package.  In  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers , Ruth allows her worlds to collide during the creation:  "In this book, I entwine my three story lines as educator, momma, and writer." (p. 6) And she does this in an amazing way through sharing stories of her family, adoption, children living in hard places -- and doing their best  -- and healing. She shares how we can use research ...

soLs: a week

Slice of Life Stories hosted by the  Two Writing Teachers I can't believe it's already been one whole week. Sometimes vacations are over in a blink, but other times vacations move slowly to enjoy every moment.  That's how this vacation is going - slowly, but with so much to enjoy. Of course, it is hard being away from home and the every-day-usual, but what I have truly enjoyed the most is the evenings.  After the girls are tucked in bed, it becomes my time to do what I choose to do because I have NO to-do list!  Nothing!  No cleaning, no laundry (thanks Mom!), no dinner (thanks Dad!), no dishes, no nothing.  Instead I have guilt-free time to read books, browse Twitter, catch up on blog reading, scrounge...

soLs: a (proud) little secret

Slice of Life Stories hosted by the  Two Writing Teachers Come here.   Come closer.   I have a secret to share with you.   I'm really excited about it and I haven't told anyone except my mom , my hubby, and my friend, colleague, and writing buddy . I receive notifications of comments on my blog on my email at school.  I think all of you will agree, it's always exciting to see that a new comment was left behind.  It never gets old.  Everyone loves a visitor, a voice that let's you know that you've been heard, and a comment that keeps you writing. I know I don't say it enough, but I really appreciate when YOU stop by and YOU leave a little note because YOU matter to me.   Most comments pour in on Tuesday as slicers are doing their very best to read and leave a supportive note that day.  A few comments tr...