Skip to main content

#cyberPD Begins 7/9/14: Reading in the Wild



This summer I am excited to be joining in the #cyberPD learning once again.  Over the previous three summers of #cyberPD, I have read and shared my thinking and learning right alongside educators across the globe.

This year I am thrilled to be joining in as a guest co-host with Cathy Mere and Laura Komos.  I think it's phenomenal how this event continues to grow each year with more and more educators participating.

Will you be joining in #cyberPD event this year?  You are still not sure yet?

Here's why I think YOU should join in!

Three Stages of #cyberPD Learning
  1. Reading a professional development book by myself is enlightening.  I read, ponder, and think about the possibilities in my resource classroom. 
  2. Adding the additional layer of reflecting, compiling, and composing my thinking into a blog post to share with YOU adds value to my learning.  Putting my jumbled thoughts into words clarifies and verifies my educational beliefs and how I intentionally plan for student learning.  I'm responding to the reading, creating action plans, thinking about next year and how I can tweak or change what's happening in my classroom and school.
  3. And then, there is YOU.  Yes, YOU.  Adding YOUR voice into the conversation increases my thinking and learning. We all know that learning is social and we become THAT reading community that learns and grows together when YOU share your thoughts.  The learning exponentially grows when the walls are knocked down.  All of YOUR great thinking pushes my thinking! Your ideas and thoughts matter!

Previous #cyberPD Events
If you are curious what other #cyberPD participants shared or how to organize your thoughts, you can check out the previous #cyberPD events:

#cyberPD Participation
This summer we are reading:
Reading in the Wild: The Book Whisperer's Keys to Cultivating Lifelong Reading Habits by Donalyn Miller with Susan Kelley


We are excited about deepening our beliefs about intentionally creating lifelong readers.  We look forward to reading Donalyn's suggestions and discussing what you do in your classroom and school to share the joy of reading.

If you have participated in previous #cyberPD  events, we are excited that you are joining in again this year!

If you have NEVER participated, this is the year to jump in!  Grab your copy of Reading in the Wild and:
  • Start a simple blog to share your thinking.  Then link your blog to the host blog by leaving a comment and your specific url link.
  • Read and leave a comment on at least 3 other participant blogs during the week.  This is what makes #cyberPD exponentially grow!
  • Share thoughts on Twitter using the #cyberPD hashtag.
  • Or leave your thoughts in the host's comment section on the blog.
  • Additional resources shared on the #cyberPD 2014 Reading in the Wild Pinterest board.
We hope to hear your voice on July 9th!

#cyberPD 2014: Reading in the Wild by Donalyn Miller (@donalynbooks)

July 9th   Chapters 1-2 Hosted by Cathy Mere at Reflect and Refine
July 16th  Chapters 3-4 Hosted by Laura Komos at Ruminate and Invigorate
July 23rd  Chapter 5 & Appendices Hosted by Michelle Nero at Literacy Learning Zone
July 30th @ 7 PM (CST) Twitter Chat with the author Donalyn Miller

Read.  Reflect.  Share.  Respond to others.  

Then repeat.




Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

{40 reasons} #sol15

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. _____________________________________________________ Today my husband celebrates a big, BIG birthday -- and I'm so lucky and thankful to have spent  the last sixteen years learning about everything that he loves the last (almost) twelve years learning about everything that I love about him the last (almost) five years learning with my daughters why we love our Daddy. Created at canva.com _____________________________________________________ Happy, happy 40th birthday Jon!

An Interview with Educator/Momma/Writer Ruth Ayres Celebrating #EnticingWriters + Giveaway!

I love sharing book titles with close friends, so I'm happy you are here! I want to share a book that you must add to your to-be-read list. Ruth Ayres has a brand new book titled  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers   published by Stenhouse Publishers. It's another must read from Ruth. There are many professional development books available to learn about mastering our craft of teaching.   However, there are only a few that make a true impact -- and this is one book that weaves raw truth, research, practical ideas, and story all in one {cute} little package.  In  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers , Ruth allows her worlds to collide during the creation:  "In this book, I entwine my three story lines as educator, momma, and writer." (p. 6) And she does this in an amazing way through sharing stories of her family, adoption, children living in hard places -- and doing their best  -- and healing. She shares how we can use research to understand how to

{#sol15} 10 Tips for the Challenge

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. Last Saturday morning, I didn't need to wake up early.  I wanted to go back to sleep.  But instead my brain was awake and thinking.  Creating this list.  Writing this post.   Many of us are embarking on an adventure - the Slice of Life Story Challenge.  Writing, sharing, and commenting for thirty-one days in March. Want to learn more about the SOLSC?  Check out Stacey's post {HERE} about the challenge hosted by the "Fab Six" over at the Two Writing Teachers ' blog.   I hope you find these tips for the challenge helpful whether you are a first-time slicer (cue confetti!) or a year five slicer like me. 1. Before the challenge