Skip to main content

TW!: making time




As if I have time for one more thing . . . 
Oh, wait. Kate, what did you say?  I have to MAKE time?


I'm jumping in fingers-to-the-keyboard first. Tap tap tap. Click click click. Delete.

Sure I write a little here and a little there.  I write on Tuesdays -- actually, it's Monday -- but I post my Tuesday Slice of Life at the Two Writing Teachers.  I write my four little lines about my day in my 10 year journal.

But do I write?  I mean really write. Like Kate Messner write? Or Gae Polisner write?


I'm going to try.  Maybe there is more to say deep inside those fast typing fingers.  


I'm joining literally hundreds of teachers and librarians in an online writing camp to experience the life of a writer.  The ups and the downs. The fast and furious clicking and the silence.  All in hopes to turn around and understand our beginning writers that we encourage to write every day.  


My first assignment:  Make a writing plan for summer and beyond.

I can start with my summer writing plans as I have a little bit more time.  I mean, I'm off for the summer from school, but I'm a mom first for my twin two year old daughters. (Yes, TWO TWO year olds. Silent prayer of patience please.)  They will keep me busy MOST of the day.  I'm also reading a #bookaday and finding recommendations via Goodreads. I'll continue slicing on Tuesdays.  I have a stack of PD books I want to read and join in the #cyberPD discussions with Cathy, LauraJill, and numerous other teachers.  Oh, and a little time for Twitter and the numerous amazing articles, blogs, and links to read.  Wait, what about Pinterest?  Nothing like getting sucked into a world of 'pinning' that is a deep black hole of ideeeeeaaaaasss. . .

Uh-oh. My husband is tapping his foot wondering what I'm up to right now.  
"Isn't it summer?  What could you possibly be up to now?"  
I guess I need to make time for my hubby too.  (I wonder if I can get him tweeting and start a blog and start pinning . . . maybe we'd be more 'connected.'  Only kidding, honey.)
My writing plans:
For the summer:  I'll write for 15-30 minutes while the girls nap. I'll type in the living room or in the screened in porch if the breeze is just right.


For the school year:  TBD.  Once the writing habit is created, this may be easier to determine.
Looking forward to learning, growing, and finding that writer!  

Comments

  1. Oh, you are busy. My daughter, full time job, comes home to a 3 yr. old & a 10 month old (great Papa too, though) & gets it all done, with plans after 8 o'clock, then promptly falls asleep. Oops! I feel for you, but there's going to be lots of support & I hope that will help us all! Best wishes, Michelle-love your fast fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! You're such an inspiration to me! I am always wondering, "What will Michelle do next?" I am really thrilled to be working on this project to improve my writing...as you said, "really write".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your thoughts about how your husband may respond made me laugh - yes, you will have to carve out time for him, as well. I've given up on Facebook and Pinterest. Maybe some other year! Glad to have a fellow "Slicer" on board, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how you do it all. I get exhausted just listening to all you do, but somehow you manage to balance everything (even hubby). Looking forward to reading more of your writing - you make me so very proud. Love ya M

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure I would have tried this with kids at home. I'm so lucky I only have to work around Chloe during the day. With my husband at work all day, I should have plenty of time, but you know how it goes.

    Anyway, glad your joining in the fun this summer. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As usual you amaze me, two years old? How did that happen so fast? I love reading your writing and those babies will too one day. So glad you are MAKING the time for my reading enjoyment!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to be in camp with you! Look forward to reading more of your writing - always a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also laughed at your description of your husband. The screened in porch when the breeze is just right seems like it will always be a special treat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know you can do it. Being busy teaches to plan one's time extra well. Just remember to breathe and play. I'm excited for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

{40 reasons} #sol15

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. _____________________________________________________ Today my husband celebrates a big, BIG birthday -- and I'm so lucky and thankful to have spent  the last sixteen years learning about everything that he loves the last (almost) twelve years learning about everything that I love about him the last (almost) five years learning with my daughters why we love our Daddy. Created at canva.com _____________________________________________________ Happy, happy 40th birthday Jon!

An Interview with Educator/Momma/Writer Ruth Ayres Celebrating #EnticingWriters + Giveaway!

I love sharing book titles with close friends, so I'm happy you are here! I want to share a book that you must add to your to-be-read list. Ruth Ayres has a brand new book titled  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers   published by Stenhouse Publishers. It's another must read from Ruth. There are many professional development books available to learn about mastering our craft of teaching.   However, there are only a few that make a true impact -- and this is one book that weaves raw truth, research, practical ideas, and story all in one {cute} little package.  In  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers , Ruth allows her worlds to collide during the creation:  "In this book, I entwine my three story lines as educator, momma, and writer." (p. 6) And she does this in an amazing way through sharing stories of her family, adoption, children living in hard places -- and doing their best  -- and healing. She shares how we can use research to understand how to

{#sol15} 10 Tips for the Challenge

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. Last Saturday morning, I didn't need to wake up early.  I wanted to go back to sleep.  But instead my brain was awake and thinking.  Creating this list.  Writing this post.   Many of us are embarking on an adventure - the Slice of Life Story Challenge.  Writing, sharing, and commenting for thirty-one days in March. Want to learn more about the SOLSC?  Check out Stacey's post {HERE} about the challenge hosted by the "Fab Six" over at the Two Writing Teachers ' blog.   I hope you find these tips for the challenge helpful whether you are a first-time slicer (cue confetti!) or a year five slicer like me. 1. Before the challenge