Skip to main content

{bedtime reading} #sol18

Slice of Life is hosted at the Two Writing Teachers
Join in and share a slice of your life. 
_____________________________________________________


Every night for years, my almost (in ONE week) eight year old daughters and I snuggle up in our big bed before bedtime and read. Some days, it's picture books from our library. Or new books from a Scholastic book order. Or even books the girls checked out from their school library. Or an old favorite we have read and read and read again.  The book selections and options are endless and always growing.

Bedtime reading is one of my favorite moments of my day.

Over the last year, we have transitioned into chapter books and series. Reading a couple chapters a night. Anticipating what will happen next. Begging for just one more. Slipping the bookmark into place and closing the book. Disappointments ensue. "C'mon, Mommy. Just one more?"

Bedtime reading is time together to experience the beauty books hold.

Over spring break, I was wanting to share Kate DiCamillo's Because of Winn Dixie and then The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. Stories I read long ago, ready to share with my girls. Words I treasured that brought tears to my eyes with every heartbreak and every celebration.

Bedtime reading allows us the opportunity to talk and share our thoughts around books and life.

In the last week, this time has quickly transitioned and changed yet again. For the most part, I always read aloud. Then, all of a sudden, the requests to read independently were heard. And, so, for the last several nights, Peyton has her book. Madison has her book. And I grabbed my new copy of Everybody, Always: Becoming Love in a World Full of Setbacks and Difficult People by Bob Goff. Everybody needs a few laughs with Bob Goff before bedtime.

Bedtime reading is thriving and changing and all still so, so good.

At first, I wasn't sure how to feel about this new arrangement. But, usually, I'm too tired to read after the girls are in bed, so I am enjoying this quiet time together reading. But my heart misses the sharing and talking and experiencing living through a book together. I know there will be a time I will read aloud again. Perhaps we will all quietly read the same book and then talk about it ...

For now, I will continue to enjoy the company of readers doing what readers do during bedtime reading.

Image from Pinterest

Comments

  1. Oh, I can relate, Michelle. As our children grow, the rituals evolve into something new. I always miss the 'old ways' but have realized that there is great joy in these new ways of being too. It sounds like you have done your job well and have set them up for a lifetime of beautiful reading experiences. Nicely done, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading about how your bedtime routine has evolved over the years. Reading before bed is something that I really cherish as an adult, and I cultivated that habit over the years as a child, first through read alouds with my dad and then with independent reading. Hopefully your daughters will take this routine with them into their adulthood as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Special moments with these two sweet daughters. Such a beautiful picture of my three girls enjoying what I also enjoy - reading. I know M & P will cherish the memory of these times spent with you. Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are approaching this stage too! My 7 year old wants to read to herself, or write, in her own bed. I am so sad about it! But it is the natural progression. My 5 year old is always slow to settle, so it has given us some alone time together. Usually, however, I have to end the night sitting in the hall between the 2 rooms reading to them both. We have been working our way through the Winnie the Pooh chapter books and we love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would make me sad too. How about audiobooks in the car?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your readers make me smile. I do remember this transition and it is a hard one. It has to be especially hard with twins when the transition happens all at once. My three children are six years apart so we slowly lost one after another to their own reading. Your post made me smile to think about how your girls have changed as readers across the time I've been stopping by your blog. Time flies.

    As always, Michelle, I do appreciate the craft of your post. I'm always fascinated by the way you structure your writing with such intention.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

{40 reasons} #sol15

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. _____________________________________________________ Today my husband celebrates a big, BIG birthday -- and I'm so lucky and thankful to have spent  the last sixteen years learning about everything that he loves the last (almost) twelve years learning about everything that I love about him the last (almost) five years learning with my daughters why we love our Daddy. Created at canva.com _____________________________________________________ Happy, happy 40th birthday Jon!

An Interview with Educator/Momma/Writer Ruth Ayres Celebrating #EnticingWriters + Giveaway!

I love sharing book titles with close friends, so I'm happy you are here! I want to share a book that you must add to your to-be-read list. Ruth Ayres has a brand new book titled  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers   published by Stenhouse Publishers. It's another must read from Ruth. There are many professional development books available to learn about mastering our craft of teaching.   However, there are only a few that make a true impact -- and this is one book that weaves raw truth, research, practical ideas, and story all in one {cute} little package.  In  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers , Ruth allows her worlds to collide during the creation:  "In this book, I entwine my three story lines as educator, momma, and writer." (p. 6) And she does this in an amazing way through sharing stories of her family, adoption, children living in hard places -- and doing their best  -- and healing. She shares how we can use research to understand how to

{#sol15} 10 Tips for the Challenge

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. Last Saturday morning, I didn't need to wake up early.  I wanted to go back to sleep.  But instead my brain was awake and thinking.  Creating this list.  Writing this post.   Many of us are embarking on an adventure - the Slice of Life Story Challenge.  Writing, sharing, and commenting for thirty-one days in March. Want to learn more about the SOLSC?  Check out Stacey's post {HERE} about the challenge hosted by the "Fab Six" over at the Two Writing Teachers ' blog.   I hope you find these tips for the challenge helpful whether you are a first-time slicer (cue confetti!) or a year five slicer like me. 1. Before the challenge