Skip to main content

{tale of TWO teeth} 16/31 #sol17


The March Slice of Life Story Challenge
hosted at the Two Writing Teachers.
Join us for a month of writing!
__________________________________________________

Once in awhile we just can't make it to the bus on time. Instead of stressing myself and yelling at the girls, I take a deep breath. (I learned this after one or two not-so-good attempts at rushing to catch the bus.)

"Finish breakfast and let's get ready for school. I'll take you this morning."

On the drive to school, I shared that I wrote about M. losing her tooth. I retold my slice, mentioned the wiggle, wiggle, push, push and the tarantulas.

"Mommy! No! You have to delete that part!"

"Oh no, it's important I share all the details," I responded, smiling at her in the rear view mirror. She embarrassingly returned the smile.

"Mommy? When I lose my tooth, will you write about it too?" P. inquired.

"Of course! I wonder when that wiggly tooth of yours will fall out."

P. shrugged, not sure when either. "Maybe after spring break."

Almost nine hours later ...

I picked up the girls at the after school CARE program. The moment P. saw me ...

"Mommy! Guess what? I lost my tooth today! But it cracked in half. I don't think the Tooth Fairy will want it." She tells me with eyes full of tears.

"Whoa. Slow down. First of all, congratulations!" I hug her.

P. smiled so I could see the big hole in her smile. "Thanks. But, Mom, it broke in half!"

"That's okay. No worries."  Miss Ann, the site coordinator for the CARE program came over to me.

"Oh, I need to talk to you. I don't know what happened, but her tooth she lost cracked in half. She was going to show it to me and then she was in tears. I told her the Tooth Fairy would still come and probably give her an extra toy or something. Don't you think?"

I politely smiled.

You see, last night M. put her tooth in her tooth pillow with a little note requesting not money, but a little toy. The Tooth Fairy responded ...



Tonight she will respond again. The life of a Tooth Fairy is tough. Especially when you encourage note writing ... 

This morning ...

P. woke up delighted to find a $2 bill and a note. Also, Miss Ann gave me some cute erasers and scratch off picture boards to leave as a little extra surprise for the girls ... from Miss Ann, not the Tooth Fairy.






Comments

  1. Cute! Wherever did you find a $2 bill? Our tooth fairy gave our daughter $5 for the first tooth. He thought it was extra special. Now the regular tooth fairy is going to disappoint because she believes $5 is a bit over the top. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recording these stories in all the detail will make wonderful reading when the girls grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for P. Hopefully the new teeth are coming in and she'll have something to chew with! At the rate the tooth fairy is going, she'll be broke by the end of the year! Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been an expensive week for that Tooth Fairy! I had to laugh when M. wanted you to leave a detail out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the tooth fairy days... I still have some gold dollar coins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too cute!

    Side note: I wonder if your tooth fairy is interested in Canadian toonies. :0)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

{40 reasons} #sol15

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. _____________________________________________________ Today my husband celebrates a big, BIG birthday -- and I'm so lucky and thankful to have spent  the last sixteen years learning about everything that he loves the last (almost) twelve years learning about everything that I love about him the last (almost) five years learning with my daughters why we love our Daddy. Created at canva.com _____________________________________________________ Happy, happy 40th birthday Jon!

An Interview with Educator/Momma/Writer Ruth Ayres Celebrating #EnticingWriters + Giveaway!

I love sharing book titles with close friends, so I'm happy you are here! I want to share a book that you must add to your to-be-read list. Ruth Ayres has a brand new book titled  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers   published by Stenhouse Publishers. It's another must read from Ruth. There are many professional development books available to learn about mastering our craft of teaching.   However, there are only a few that make a true impact -- and this is one book that weaves raw truth, research, practical ideas, and story all in one {cute} little package.  In  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers , Ruth allows her worlds to collide during the creation:  "In this book, I entwine my three story lines as educator, momma, and writer." (p. 6) And she does this in an amazing way through sharing stories of her family, adoption, children living in hard places -- and doing their best  -- and healing. She shares how we can use research to understand how to

{#sol15} 10 Tips for the Challenge

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. Last Saturday morning, I didn't need to wake up early.  I wanted to go back to sleep.  But instead my brain was awake and thinking.  Creating this list.  Writing this post.   Many of us are embarking on an adventure - the Slice of Life Story Challenge.  Writing, sharing, and commenting for thirty-one days in March. Want to learn more about the SOLSC?  Check out Stacey's post {HERE} about the challenge hosted by the "Fab Six" over at the Two Writing Teachers ' blog.   I hope you find these tips for the challenge helpful whether you are a first-time slicer (cue confetti!) or a year five slicer like me. 1. Before the challenge