Wednesday, March 8, 2017

{learning day with @DrJanrichardson} 8/31 #sol17


__________________________________________________

The March Slice of Life Story Challenge
hosted at the Two Writing Teachers.
Join us for a month of writing!
__________________________________________________


Yesterday I attended an all day conference, "A Day at Judson" with Dr. Jan Richardson (#ADAJ2017) about "Next Steps for Struggling Readers: Guided Reading and Beyond."

It was a packed day of learning coming at us fast! A colleague and I took notes collaboratively.  It's best when two of us can add notes and photos to capture the day. Now I need time to process all the information shared and add pieces into my every day practice and interventions plans in place.

Some highlights:

Some reminders and new learning:
  • Keep all the components to a Guided Reading lesson. Do not spend too much time on each. Be quick and keep students engaged.
  • Beginning readers need time to develop oral language. Take a book and page by page encourage the student to TALK about the picture. No reading, just talking.
  • Sight word anomaly! The reading and writing connection with sight words was new to me. If a student can write a sight word, they have better knowledge of the word. Visual scanning and strategic “anchors” to free up processing to figure out other words.
  • Designing guided reading lessons around reading, writing, and word study.  Always be thinking about what is NEXT for each student. (Or, as we learned from Fountas & Pinnell, be responsive!)
  • Prompting students is essential. We are not fixing mistakes. We are improving processes!
  • Jan went into great depth for creating guided reading lessons with a sense of urgency for students who are specifically emerging, early, and transitional readers incorporating time for reading, writing, and word study. 
  • Comprehensive (albeit quick) sharing of even more: Lengthy conversation about monitoring. Talk about word solving. In depth examples of word study. Touched upon guided writing. More talk about comprehension.

After a full day, I need to spend some time with my notes and my new book.  It was a lot to take in, and Jan provided so many specifics we can easily incorporate into our daily lessons. I need to dig in and think more about the next step forward for all my readers ... I had another idea for that:


11 comments:

  1. We had Jan visit our school last year to model guided reading for us. I have to say...I was exhausted just watching her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a jam packed day with lots of info. Just take a breath and let it sink in slowly so you can put it into process and share with others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when people share their learning - always so interesting to see the highlights! And love the idea of a day after conference day to process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like an amazing day of learning, Michelle - now, time to process and implement, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you to have a day with her! I've been using her book for a couple of years now, and it's great. Check out her videos, too, at http://www.janrichardsonguidedreading.com/video-clips

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to see what you noted during the day of learning! What's the Basket of Joy? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this line-- "We are not fixing mistakes. We are improving processes!" So important when thinking about beginning readers. Sounds like it was an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this line-- "We are not fixing mistakes. We are improving processes!" So important when thinking about beginning readers. Sounds like it was an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Jan Richardson's work! Really wanted to hear her when she was at our conference in February, but her session filled up before I could register on the first day. Sounds like a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing this slice. It was PD for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So jealous! I love her books and refer to her all the time. She makes it easier to understand guided reading and how to implement it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.