Skip to main content

solsc: wake up 4/31


March Slice of Life Story Challenge 
hosted at the Two Writing Teachers
Join us for a month of writing!

Saturday morning the girls woke up earlier than usual, around 6:15 am.  After our transition to the big beds, the sun appeared to be making her entrance earlier and earlier in the morning allowing my daughters to think it was time to rise and shine.

That is something I love about spring and summer days - longer, sunshine days; however, not when I'm hoping and praying that my two little ones stay in their big beds until I'm up and ready to go!  (This additional "freedom" makes me anxious!  Perhaps the upcoming time change will help them sleep just a little bit longer.)

I am not a morning person.  I wish I was.  Sometimes I pretend I am.  I'll get up early to exercise, read in the peace and quiet, take a long, hot shower.  All before my precious darlings decide to rise and shine.

This happens on occasion -- but definitely not on the weekend!  

As I heard the soft voices over the monitor, I rolled over to squint at the clock.  Their conversations are priceless.  

Then P. started yelling, "I got BOOGERS!" 

It didn't appear that she was going to let this go as she repeatedly screamed her situation over and over, so I scrambled out of bed and quietly entered the girls' room.  

"Good morning. What's the matter, P.?"

"Mommy, I got boogers," P. responded as she lifted up her nose to me.

As I wiped some boogers, M. asked, "Momma, is it time to wake up?"

"Oh, not yet honey.  I still need to jump in the shower."

"Don't jump Mommy!  You will get hurt!" P. interrupted.

"Momma, can it be time to wake up?"  M. questioned.

"Lay down a little bit longer.  Please let me jump -- um, go take a shower.  You can talk for a couple minutes in your big beds," I requested with my fingers crossed.

Thankfully, they both agreed.

I quickly left the room and took a deep breath admiring the peace and quiet in their room.  I grabbed the monitor and jumped in the shower.  

The excitement of a new day dawning had begun.  Within minutes, my quiet little angels began to stomp and bang and sing and shout.

It was time to wake up!


Comments

  1. Love that you are writing these vignettes. My little darlings are between 10 and 16 and the conversations have changed. You are reminding me of some funny things they have said. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lord have mercy, this made me laugh out loud.

    Then P. started yelling, "I got BOOGERS!"

    Love this age!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it wonderful . . . their conversations, their honesty! I agree...I love this age!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love P's comment: "Don't jump Mommy, you'll get hurt". So protective and caring. I guess you didn't inherit the "early morning" gene from Grandpa like I did! Cherish these moments for they will pass so quickly. Hugs to all of you. Love M

    ReplyDelete
  5. BOOGERS! :) They are so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are perks about twins---they can talk and play with each other. My little K says "Is it wake up time mommy? I wanna read you a book but it is dark in here." To which I reply, "I know it is dark, that means we are supposed to be sleeping!" I don't get much peace when I shower either. So I know that is something a mommy savors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The line about boogers was just priceless - oh, the things they say!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it great that you are recording these priceless conversations?
    I thought at some point in my life that I would never get to sleep on Saturday mornings. Now the teenagers can sleep through a day, and Mimm savors her time in bed as much as I do. The only early bird in my entire family is my dad, but he doesn't live with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those monitors are such a handy tool. Even though it was earlier than desired, it was a sweet beginning to the day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hysterical. I love kids conversations. You never know what is going to come out of their mouths. You have to keep sharing these

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Don't jump Mommy! You will get hurt!" P. interrupted.
    LOVE THAT LINE! Classic toddler literal read of language.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The transition to big beds is always an adventure. There's a new freedom when the beds have no sides. I remember when my kids wouldn't sleep past sunrise. Now only the smell of bacon will bring them out of their beds before noon. By the time you no longer need to be a morning person your kids will have you trained to get up at sunrise...then they'll sleep in until noon.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bet you catch a lot of fun interactions between the girls via the monitors. I am glad that the toddler beds are still working well, with the exception of the sun rousing them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything Cathy said. My boys get up at noon on weekends and get mad at me if I make too much noise before that! Savor these oh so special moments!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it--as if "Mommy I got BOOGERS," is an invitation. It sounds like this transition is going well, despite the sunshine not cooperating.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As Christy said, I love how the boogers were her invitation to spend time with you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

An Interview with Educator/Momma/Writer Ruth Ayres Celebrating #EnticingWriters + Giveaway!

I love sharing book titles with close friends, so I'm happy you are here! I want to share a book that you must add to your to-be-read list. Ruth Ayres has a brand new book titled  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers   published by Stenhouse Publishers. It's another must read from Ruth. There are many professional development books available to learn about mastering our craft of teaching.   However, there are only a few that make a true impact -- and this is one book that weaves raw truth, research, practical ideas, and story all in one {cute} little package.  In  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers , Ruth allows her worlds to collide during the creation:  "In this book, I entwine my three story lines as educator, momma, and writer." (p. 6) And she does this in an amazing way through sharing stories of her family, adoption, children living in hard places -- and doing their best  -- and healing. She shares how we can use research ...

soLs: a week

Slice of Life Stories hosted by the  Two Writing Teachers I can't believe it's already been one whole week. Sometimes vacations are over in a blink, but other times vacations move slowly to enjoy every moment.  That's how this vacation is going - slowly, but with so much to enjoy. Of course, it is hard being away from home and the every-day-usual, but what I have truly enjoyed the most is the evenings.  After the girls are tucked in bed, it becomes my time to do what I choose to do because I have NO to-do list!  Nothing!  No cleaning, no laundry (thanks Mom!), no dinner (thanks Dad!), no dishes, no nothing.  Instead I have guilt-free time to read books, browse Twitter, catch up on blog reading, scrounge...

soLs: a (proud) little secret

Slice of Life Stories hosted by the  Two Writing Teachers Come here.   Come closer.   I have a secret to share with you.   I'm really excited about it and I haven't told anyone except my mom , my hubby, and my friend, colleague, and writing buddy . I receive notifications of comments on my blog on my email at school.  I think all of you will agree, it's always exciting to see that a new comment was left behind.  It never gets old.  Everyone loves a visitor, a voice that let's you know that you've been heard, and a comment that keeps you writing. I know I don't say it enough, but I really appreciate when YOU stop by and YOU leave a little note because YOU matter to me.   Most comments pour in on Tuesday as slicers are doing their very best to read and leave a supportive note that day.  A few comments tr...