Skip to main content

{what should i wear?} 23/31 #sol18

__________________________________________________

The March Slice of Life Story Challenge
hosted at the Two Writing Teachers.
Join us for a month of writing!
__________________________________________________


Every morning ...

"Good morning! Rise and shine!" I softly say as I flip on the light switch, turn off the globe that is used as a nightlight, and push the off button to quiet the sound of rain.

I touch her leg to start the wake up process.

Then I repeat all of this in another bedroom with my other daughter.

I sit on her bed, usually chatting about the day ahead or about the weather, so she knows how to dress for the day. I may hear some groans. There is major stretching. One eye opens slowly. Then the other. Squinting at me in the bright light.

Then I repeat all of this in the other bedroom with my other daughter.

Most days I'm still getting ready as well, wrapped in my robe. So, I head down the hallway to my bedroom and remind both girls, "It's time to get up and out of bed and get moving!"

Within a minute ...

"Momma." A quiet three second pause. "Momma! I don't know what to wear!"

"Me neither ..." I whisper to myself as I stare at my wardrobe in my closet full of blacks, grays, and plum.

I poke my head out of my closet, "It's chilly again today. And you have gym!"

This response never satisfies.

"Momma? Can you just come help me? What should I wear?" She pleads.

I walk back to her room. We inventory her closet -- which is full of options, colors, and clothes that actually fit -- sliding the hangers from left to right. She makes her final decision.

"Thanks, Momma. I'm good now," she smiles and says sending me out the door.

I head back to my bedroom wondering what I'm going to wear today. I grab something black and gray and get dressed.

Before I meet the girls at the top of the stairs, I glance between my two Giving Keys and decide if I need {HOPE} for this day or to {BELIEVE}. I grab the word and feeling my heart needs, slip the necklace over my head, and we go downstairs.

The same time tomorrow this scene will repeat. The same conversation. The same frustration. The same end result.

The only difference? It will be my other daughter!

Comments

  1. Teacher uniform in the winter. Black, Gray, Plum. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the challenge of the morning or anytime. So many clothes and choices and yet the same question every day. Love you and the girls! Hugs to everyone, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the gentle waking up. On some days the "What to wear?" question is as difficult as "What should I cook for dinner?" question. Reading your morning slice reminded me of the slices I wrote about Mimm, and the morning goodbye kisses, when she was younger. Now she is a teenager, and before I leave the house, I still give her a kiss, but she just keeps sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the twist at the end! I can barely manage to dress myself to get out of the house, so I am very glad my son has strong opinions and always knows what to wear (and is also always very happy to march into my closet and pick clothes for me too.) The older I get, the more I want a teacher uniform!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha. Oh the struggle for find something professional yet functional for kneeling next to small tables and sitting on the floor with students. I appreciate the little details you have included in this piece.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

{40 reasons} #sol15

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. _____________________________________________________ Today my husband celebrates a big, BIG birthday -- and I'm so lucky and thankful to have spent  the last sixteen years learning about everything that he loves the last (almost) twelve years learning about everything that I love about him the last (almost) five years learning with my daughters why we love our Daddy. Created at canva.com _____________________________________________________ Happy, happy 40th birthday Jon!

An Interview with Educator/Momma/Writer Ruth Ayres Celebrating #EnticingWriters + Giveaway!

I love sharing book titles with close friends, so I'm happy you are here! I want to share a book that you must add to your to-be-read list. Ruth Ayres has a brand new book titled  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers   published by Stenhouse Publishers. It's another must read from Ruth. There are many professional development books available to learn about mastering our craft of teaching.   However, there are only a few that make a true impact -- and this is one book that weaves raw truth, research, practical ideas, and story all in one {cute} little package.  In  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers , Ruth allows her worlds to collide during the creation:  "In this book, I entwine my three story lines as educator, momma, and writer." (p. 6) And she does this in an amazing way through sharing stories of her family, adoption, children living in hard places -- and doing their best  -- and healing. She shares how we can use research to understand how to

{#sol15} 10 Tips for the Challenge

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. Last Saturday morning, I didn't need to wake up early.  I wanted to go back to sleep.  But instead my brain was awake and thinking.  Creating this list.  Writing this post.   Many of us are embarking on an adventure - the Slice of Life Story Challenge.  Writing, sharing, and commenting for thirty-one days in March. Want to learn more about the SOLSC?  Check out Stacey's post {HERE} about the challenge hosted by the "Fab Six" over at the Two Writing Teachers ' blog.   I hope you find these tips for the challenge helpful whether you are a first-time slicer (cue confetti!) or a year five slicer like me. 1. Before the challenge