Skip to main content

SOLSC: It Was Meant To Be - 8/31

The Slice of Life Story Challenge 
is hosted by the Two Writing Teachers.



A New Voice


I have a legitimate excuse for why it took me some time to get started with this phenomenon called blogging.  I realize blogging has been around for some time, but I've been concerned with other realms of my life.  


I'm stepping out today.  Out of my comfort zone.  I'm opening up and sharing more than I ever thought, partially because this was supposed to be my "professional" blog focused on teaching and learning.  But I am learning.  Through my daily journaling and writing. Through your words, stories, and memoirs.  Through the profound reflections expressed.  After a week of daily conversations, I'm feeling generous with my words . . . utilizing my newfound writing voice: poet. 


It Was Meant To Be


Timing in life is everything
I know God has His way.
Sometimes we don't understand it
Until it's meant to be.


Our life was comfortable and content
A marriage brimming with love
In a house that we made our home
It was meant to be.


The next step in our grown-up lives
Was a blinded leap of faith
That you may never feel ready for
But it was meant to be.


When the timing was just right
Our future would entail
Not just one baby to bear.
Two were meant to be.


Months of reading and planning
Time to let the babies grow
Waiting for the right moment
Until it was meant to be.


Then another surprise arrived.
A sudden loss of employment
Fear, sadness, and unexpected wondering:
Is this meant to be?


If this was the worst, we'll take it.
Yet still struggling to understand.
This will make us stronger, we thought.
Maybe this was meant to be.


The first of May appeared
With the arrival of two beautiful babies.
Both precious wonders of pure love.
Thank you, Dear Lord, for this was meant to be.


Summer came and went in a blink
Back-to-school was out of my mind
For I could not fathom leaving
But it was meant to be.


We had no other choice
For now I am a working mom
And he is our stay-at-home dad.
This was meant to be, Lord,
This was meant . . . to be.





Comments

  1. Great poem! Life doesn't always turn out like we expect or plan. I bet your husband is enjoying himself at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your poem, it is beautiful and so meaningful to many in your same situation. Life does put a speed bump the road, especially when you are rolling along comfortably.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful poem. Thanks for sharing your life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brevity and courage. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. You tell a wondeful story (ups and downs) in such a divine way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

An Interview with Educator/Momma/Writer Ruth Ayres Celebrating #EnticingWriters + Giveaway!

I love sharing book titles with close friends, so I'm happy you are here! I want to share a book that you must add to your to-be-read list. Ruth Ayres has a brand new book titled  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers   published by Stenhouse Publishers. It's another must read from Ruth. There are many professional development books available to learn about mastering our craft of teaching.   However, there are only a few that make a true impact -- and this is one book that weaves raw truth, research, practical ideas, and story all in one {cute} little package.  In  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers , Ruth allows her worlds to collide during the creation:  "In this book, I entwine my three story lines as educator, momma, and writer." (p. 6) And she does this in an amazing way through sharing stories of her family, adoption, children living in hard places -- and doing their best  -- and healing. She shares how we can use research ...

soLs: a week

Slice of Life Stories hosted by the  Two Writing Teachers I can't believe it's already been one whole week. Sometimes vacations are over in a blink, but other times vacations move slowly to enjoy every moment.  That's how this vacation is going - slowly, but with so much to enjoy. Of course, it is hard being away from home and the every-day-usual, but what I have truly enjoyed the most is the evenings.  After the girls are tucked in bed, it becomes my time to do what I choose to do because I have NO to-do list!  Nothing!  No cleaning, no laundry (thanks Mom!), no dinner (thanks Dad!), no dishes, no nothing.  Instead I have guilt-free time to read books, browse Twitter, catch up on blog reading, scrounge...

soLs: a (proud) little secret

Slice of Life Stories hosted by the  Two Writing Teachers Come here.   Come closer.   I have a secret to share with you.   I'm really excited about it and I haven't told anyone except my mom , my hubby, and my friend, colleague, and writing buddy . I receive notifications of comments on my blog on my email at school.  I think all of you will agree, it's always exciting to see that a new comment was left behind.  It never gets old.  Everyone loves a visitor, a voice that let's you know that you've been heard, and a comment that keeps you writing. I know I don't say it enough, but I really appreciate when YOU stop by and YOU leave a little note because YOU matter to me.   Most comments pour in on Tuesday as slicers are doing their very best to read and leave a supportive note that day.  A few comments tr...