Skip to main content

{#sol15} 10 Tips for the Challenge

Slice of Life hosted at the
Join in and share a slice of your life.


Last Saturday morning, I didn't need to wake up early.  I wanted to go back to sleep.  But instead my brain was awake and thinking.  Creating this list.  Writing this post.  

Many of us are embarking on an adventure - the Slice of Life Story Challenge.  Writing, sharing, and commenting for thirty-one days in March. Want to learn more about the SOLSC?  Check out Stacey's post {HERE} about the challenge hosted by the "Fab Six" over at the Two Writing Teachers' blog.  

I hope you find these tips for the challenge helpful whether you are a first-time slicer (cue confetti!) or a year five slicer like me.



1. Before the challenge begins ... set up all 31 blank blog posts, one for each day of the challenge and save!  I include the number day (i.e. 1/31, 2/31, 3/31, 31/31, etc.) and include the #sol15 hashtag in the title (for my "If This Then That" recipe connected to Twitter).  I also copy and paste onto each blog post the official "Slice of Life" logo.  This will save you so much time during the challenge that you can focus on just writing and commenting.


2.  Introduce yourself on day one of the challenge.  Tell us who you are and what you love.  Make connections that first day!  It's also a great day to invite a friend to join in on the writing fun!  (Chris!  Lynn?  Terje, it's 'just for a month'!  Karen, you started a blog and all?!?  Or even ask your mom to join my mom!)

3.  Do not stress about what to write about.  Our ordinary lives are filled with stories!  Keep your eyes and ears open ... and the stories will whisper to be shared.  Trust me on this one.  It's amazing how your story radar beeps all day long with slices of possibility.

4.  Throughout the day, you will notice those slices ... Carry a notebook (or your phone) with you at all times!  Jot down a couple words to remind yourself later of the possibilities.  Otherwise the stories may be lost ...

5.  Remember to share a"slice" -- a sliver, a taste, even just a nibble.  You are encouraged to write for thirty-one days (and you WILL!), but don't feel that every slice needs to be a lengthy post, novel or a final draft masterpiece!  Break longer stories into parts -- enticing readers to come back for more the next day and the next day!

6.  Shorter slices allow me (and other slicers) the opportunity to read more slices and leave more comments.  Read. Comment. Repeat. Sometimes if I see a slice is too long ... I click the back button quickly.  I usually end up feeling guilty, and I return to read and comment.  I love reading my "old favorite" year five slicers and also new slicers joining in.  I also usually try to return the favor.  When someone leaves a comment on my blog, I try and reciprocate and leave a comment on their blog, if I can find it.  I can read more slices when the slices are just that -- a slice of life!

7.  Comments matter!  Comments encourage us to keep writing.  Comments are the foundation of this writing community.  Comments connect us.  If you take the time to read a slice (with or without guilt, see #6), leave a comment ... even if it's as simple as "Thanks for sharing" or "Keep writing!"  Comments don't have to be wordy.  But write something -- especially for a fellow slicer who may not have many comments.

8.  There will be days where you may feel stuck or in a writing rut or -- Smack! Hit the writer's block.  Push through ... just write.  Just open up that laptop and write.  It is inevitable that every year I write a blog post about not knowing what to write about -- and a slice emerges and everyone can connect with that post!

9.  Play with your words.  Use a mentor text.  It could be a book that you emulate or even better, use another slicer's idea or format.  I created a "Slice of Life Story Challenge" Pinterest board to pin favorite slices and ideas to refer back to when I'm looking for some inspiration.

10.  Write a poem.  Create a list.  Try something new! Look for more writing inspiration  and journal ideas on this Pinterest page.  And if you have no idea what to do?!?  Have a solid back up plan!  I found this format  and it's my go-to when I just don't have any other ideas!


And a bonus tip ...

11.  Enjoy the process!  Reflect on the process too.  The process of writing daily is energizing and exhausting.  Yet, writing every day forms a newfound writing habit.  You will want to write more and more and more.  Enjoy.  This.  Challenge.


A BIG thank you to the Two Writing Teachers Team 
for hosting the Slice of Life Story Challenge!


HaPpy WrItiNg!

I know.  I've been there. 
 I can't wait to meet you in your stories!

Image found on etsy: Kathy R. Jeffords

Comments

  1. These are AWESOME tips, Michelle! I can't wait to share them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such wonderful tips. I know I used some of your slices for back-up plans and/or inspiration. Thanks for sharing and let the writing begin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said my friend and great advice. I can not believe it is almost March!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips Michelle! I'm trying to get some of my colleagues to join in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. With the first two weeks of Feb. being out of pocket, I totally forgot what the date is. Can't believe that next week begins the SOL and that it will be year four for me! Amazing how our words can create such stories. Thanks for the tips and reminder. Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fabulous, Michelle - so helpful to newbies and vets alike!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness I LOVE this! I am going to share with teachers and students alike. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a first time March Challenge slicer, you bet I'll put these tips to good use. THANK YOU, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great list for slicers, both new and experienced! Let the preparations begin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No wonder you couldn't sleep, what great thoughts to share! I have never thought about setting up the days ahead. I will have to give that a try. Wow! I can't believe we've been at this for five years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is spectacular for so many reasons. I love when people give me the idea for how to set up a simpler life. I am going to sign off from this comment and set up my blog posts. Thank you so much. I plan to follow you all the way through.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm off to do #1. Why didn't I do this other years???

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing help! Thank you! I'll be starting my second year, and I cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Always a sage writer... love this post. Yes, I'm in and I hope to keep the slices (cue the confetti) positive and light. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great suggestions - I love the predating the posts idea. Why didn't I think of that? is what I thought!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the tips! Your blog has been an inspiration and a mentor text many times! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am still on the fence about doing the challenge, but you have some fantastic and helpful tips here. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are really helpful, good ideas. I was thinking about what I do that makes me successful, and I think that every year I have picked a specific time of day to complete my writing. Now, I get up at 5:30 and do it first, even before Facebook (gasp!). Other years it has been directly after school, or on my lunch break...whatever works at that exact point in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great ideas! It is year three for me and so excited. I like the idea of pre-setting the days and the use of the hashtag. Thanks this was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you all for stopping by & sharing your thoughts! Looking forward to a writing adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for the tips! I'm excited to start this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the pointers for SOLC. I will also be setting up my posts ahead. I may even be able to write them on my phone. I've never been confident enough to do that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, so helpful! Thank you for posting these tips!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A post that will help folks every year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

{40 reasons} #sol15

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. _____________________________________________________ Today my husband celebrates a big, BIG birthday -- and I'm so lucky and thankful to have spent  the last sixteen years learning about everything that he loves the last (almost) twelve years learning about everything that I love about him the last (almost) five years learning with my daughters why we love our Daddy. Created at canva.com _____________________________________________________ Happy, happy 40th birthday Jon!

An Interview with Educator/Momma/Writer Ruth Ayres Celebrating #EnticingWriters + Giveaway!

I love sharing book titles with close friends, so I'm happy you are here! I want to share a book that you must add to your to-be-read list. Ruth Ayres has a brand new book titled  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers   published by Stenhouse Publishers. It's another must read from Ruth. There are many professional development books available to learn about mastering our craft of teaching.   However, there are only a few that make a true impact -- and this is one book that weaves raw truth, research, practical ideas, and story all in one {cute} little package.  In  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers , Ruth allows her worlds to collide during the creation:  "In this book, I entwine my three story lines as educator, momma, and writer." (p. 6) And she does this in an amazing way through sharing stories of her family, adoption, children living in hard places -- and doing their best  -- and healing. She shares how we can use research to understand how to