Skip to main content

{sols} a snow story





Slice of Life hosted at the
Join in and share a slice of your life.


My girls are really into storytelling these days, especially hearing stories where they are the main characters!  Here is a story about their experience after the blizzard on Sunday.


Once upon a time ...

there were two adorable and very energetic four year olds, who always listened to their Momma.

 {Snickers.}

The two girls were twin sisters and they loved playing together.  They played with their baby dolls and took care of their stuffed animals with the vet clinic tools.  The girls enjoyed coloring, painting, and creating masterpieces of art that were on display for all to see.  They loved laughing and singing and dancing around the house.

"Momma!  Watch me!" demanded P. as she twirled around.

As their joyous laughter filled the air, one darling girl spotted a snowflake floating back and forth slowly toward the ground.  The sparkle and beauty caught her eye.  Then there was another snowflake and another, until the sky was littered with hundreds and thousands and millions of these tiny, unique ice sculptures floating gently down, down, down.

"Look Mom!  It's snowing!" exclaimed M. pointing out the window.

The snow fell all day long blanketing everything white that we could see outside the window.  They could not contain their excitement.  All they wanted to do was ---

"Momma!  Can we PL--EASE go outside and play in the snow?!?" 

And so it went.  The two precious girls put on layer after layer to ensure they remained warm while playing in the cold, white snow.  The snow pants, the boots, the hat, the scarf, and finally the mittens.

"Let's go!  I'm starting to sweat!" announced P. as she opened the door.

We trudged outside, boots clomping on the brick pathway that was recently cleared by their Daddy.

CrUncH.  cRuNCh.  CRunCh.

The girls stepped onto the almost eighteen inches of fresh snow.  Walking high above what they know as the ground level.

Phlump.  One boot deep in the snow.

"Mom, I'm stuck!" shouted M.

Phlump.  Another boot deep in the snow.


Their weight exceeded the snow limit and they were slowly stepping into the deep, deep snow.

The two snow princesses played and played. They fell into the deep snow.  They scooped and shoveled.  Moved the snow from here to there.  No  masterpieces could be sculpted as it was at this time all soft, non-packing fluff.

But as they continued to play, their Daddy created the beginnings of a snow fort.  A hideout.  A secret getaway.  Perhaps an enchanted snow castle.  Today, it shall be perfected for the two sweet girls...



"Who always listen to their Momma!" The girls added.







Comments

  1. Oh, I'm in love with this story! The imagery of the snowflake falling, the crunch of the snow, the phlump of the boot falling through...I have to write my own version now! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story of twin snow princesses living with their snow queen and king in a magnificent snow kingdom. Their life is rich with stories. Keep telling the stories and writing them down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this story and kept going back to my childhood days when I could not wait to go into the snow to craft a snow fort. Thank you for sharing and helping me remember. Unfortunately, I could not see your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful story! I love how you wove their dialogue into the story, and I love how you started referring to them as snow princesses by the end of the story! Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful story! This is what makes winter memorable, not just the inches of snow reported in the news!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this story Michelle! I could picture every detail! I'm glad that it was only in my head and not out there shoveling šŸ˜˜. The only thing was I did not get pics to come through on my iPad! But I pictured them in my head as well! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I LOVE Your story. It could very well be a picture book, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I enjoyed reading your story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

{40 reasons} #sol15

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. _____________________________________________________ Today my husband celebrates a big, BIG birthday -- and I'm so lucky and thankful to have spent  the last sixteen years learning about everything that he loves the last (almost) twelve years learning about everything that I love about him the last (almost) five years learning with my daughters why we love our Daddy. Created at canva.com _____________________________________________________ Happy, happy 40th birthday Jon!

An Interview with Educator/Momma/Writer Ruth Ayres Celebrating #EnticingWriters + Giveaway!

I love sharing book titles with close friends, so I'm happy you are here! I want to share a book that you must add to your to-be-read list. Ruth Ayres has a brand new book titled  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers   published by Stenhouse Publishers. It's another must read from Ruth. There are many professional development books available to learn about mastering our craft of teaching.   However, there are only a few that make a true impact -- and this is one book that weaves raw truth, research, practical ideas, and story all in one {cute} little package.  In  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers , Ruth allows her worlds to collide during the creation:  "In this book, I entwine my three story lines as educator, momma, and writer." (p. 6) And she does this in an amazing way through sharing stories of her family, adoption, children living in hard places -- and doing their best  -- and healing. She shares how we can use research to understand how to

{#sol15} 10 Tips for the Challenge

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. Last Saturday morning, I didn't need to wake up early.  I wanted to go back to sleep.  But instead my brain was awake and thinking.  Creating this list.  Writing this post.   Many of us are embarking on an adventure - the Slice of Life Story Challenge.  Writing, sharing, and commenting for thirty-one days in March. Want to learn more about the SOLSC?  Check out Stacey's post {HERE} about the challenge hosted by the "Fab Six" over at the Two Writing Teachers ' blog.   I hope you find these tips for the challenge helpful whether you are a first-time slicer (cue confetti!) or a year five slicer like me. 1. Before the challenge