Skip to main content

{sols} a write night out


Slice of Life hosted at the
Join in and share a slice of your life.


After the school bells rings, I quickly get organized and I'm off to start my other full time job of being a mom.  I can honestly say there are not too many nights that I get out or do what I want to do.  However, last night I took the evening off.

I didn't even hesitate when I received the invitation.  I checked the calendar and then signed up.  Put the date in our shared family calendar with the note:  Jon pick up girls!

Even after a long day of teaching, I was ready to go and learn and laugh with a teacher of writing legend.  I attended a local Illinois Reading Council conference featuring Ralph Fletcher.

Ralph shared his core beliefs, writing tips, mentor texts, love of prose, and the idea that nonfiction writing can be playful and non-formulaic.  He shared the power of story and words.  He quoted his mentors and other writing legends: Donald Graves, Donald Murray, Katie Wood Ray, and Georgia Heard.   He shared many examples of exploratory nonfiction writing and multigenre research writing.

Ralph's goal was to remind us that even in the midst of Common Core, we must continue writing our stories (narrative) and be playful and try different forms of nonfiction writing.  

It was an enjoyable night to sit back and enjoy Ralph's company.  We approached him during the break and he was so kind, easy to chat with, and provided some great advice.  Ralph signed one of his books and took a selfie with my favorite literacy coach (who I tried to convince to start a blog and join this writing community ...)

Ralph would agree.






Comments

  1. Good for you! So glad that you accepted the invite and enjoyed an evening of learning and sharing. A great way to start your week. Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great opportunity. Love Ralph! So glad you got Jon to pick up the girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm green with envy. So glad you were able to enjoy this wonderful evening of learning and laughter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you took the time for yourself. Ralph has been a guest of out Young Writers Academy twice. What a great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Ralph Fletcher - what a treat to have seen him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you were able to have the night off and spend it listening to Ralph Fletcher. What a special night!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that he shared the importance of keeping writing fun! Also glad you did something fun for you
    Because that too is important :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ralph is phenomenal! So glad you had the opportunity to hear him speak.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ralph, one of my heroes. He will be presenting at one of our Saturday Seminars in April. I'm hoping for my selfie with him as well. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like an awesome evening. I love Fletcher's work and turn to it often. What a treat to hear him at week's start and take that energy back to school!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful that you got to hear Ralph speak and take a photo with him. He is a wonderful presenter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha! A selfie with Ralph Fletcher! Who would have thought?

    We use a lot of his "stuff" in my district, too. We Skyped with him once. :)

    I'm glad you got out and did something just for you! We all need to do that every now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You met Ralph Fletcher!!! So glad you found PD that was what you needed and wanted. I'm sure we can convince the lit coach to blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! It must have been so exciting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

{40 reasons} #sol15

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. _____________________________________________________ Today my husband celebrates a big, BIG birthday -- and I'm so lucky and thankful to have spent  the last sixteen years learning about everything that he loves the last (almost) twelve years learning about everything that I love about him the last (almost) five years learning with my daughters why we love our Daddy. Created at canva.com _____________________________________________________ Happy, happy 40th birthday Jon!

An Interview with Educator/Momma/Writer Ruth Ayres Celebrating #EnticingWriters + Giveaway!

I love sharing book titles with close friends, so I'm happy you are here! I want to share a book that you must add to your to-be-read list. Ruth Ayres has a brand new book titled  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers   published by Stenhouse Publishers. It's another must read from Ruth. There are many professional development books available to learn about mastering our craft of teaching.   However, there are only a few that make a true impact -- and this is one book that weaves raw truth, research, practical ideas, and story all in one {cute} little package.  In  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers , Ruth allows her worlds to collide during the creation:  "In this book, I entwine my three story lines as educator, momma, and writer." (p. 6) And she does this in an amazing way through sharing stories of her family, adoption, children living in hard places -- and doing their best  -- and healing. She shares how we can use research to understand how to

{#sol15} 10 Tips for the Challenge

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. Last Saturday morning, I didn't need to wake up early.  I wanted to go back to sleep.  But instead my brain was awake and thinking.  Creating this list.  Writing this post.   Many of us are embarking on an adventure - the Slice of Life Story Challenge.  Writing, sharing, and commenting for thirty-one days in March. Want to learn more about the SOLSC?  Check out Stacey's post {HERE} about the challenge hosted by the "Fab Six" over at the Two Writing Teachers ' blog.   I hope you find these tips for the challenge helpful whether you are a first-time slicer (cue confetti!) or a year five slicer like me. 1. Before the challenge