Skip to main content

{a gift} #sos

 

I read this new book: Grit for Girls and Young Women: Why the Most Difficult Challenges are So Important -- a gift from a dear friend to my daughters. She had no idea what those words did to me.

Tears filled my eyes, succumbed to all the emotions of this spring and summer and the year of 2020. Especially, a summer of the not-so-relaxing, let-it-all-go, think-about-nothing kind of summer. But a summer of hearing data, growing concerns, and waiting. waiting. waiting. to hear plans for returning to school this fall.

I guess I didn't realize how much I was holding in. 

My ten year old daughter, Madison, walked into the room.

"This book from Karen is awesome. I can't wait to read it with you. They are full of words that you need to hear, but I guess I did too --"  

I caught my breath and asked, "Can I get a hug?"

"Why? What's wrong, Mommy?" She pleaded as I walked over to her and we sat together embraced on the couch. I kissed the top of her head, trying to take a deep breath. She held on, laying her head on me ... knowing I needed time.

Because the tears came. And a flurry of worry poured out of my mouth.

"I'm worried about going back to school and the safety of the teachers. I'm worried about leaving you and your sister."

"But, why? Why do you have to go back to school if you are teaching remotely?" A great question a ten year old is asking.

"I know. Some things don't make sense. Everyone is trying to make the right decisions to keep us safe. But choice would be helpful in what works for every family."

I rubbed her back, played with her ponytail.

Another deep breath.

"I'm sorry. I just had an adult conversation with you. Please know, this is my worry, not yours. 

Really we need to turn all our worries to God...

Thank you for listening. Everything will work out." 

And we sat there. Together. For another quiet moment.

A gift. A beautiful gift from my daughter of time, patience, understanding, embracing, listening.  Everything we need more of in this world.



Comments

  1. I think you just showed your daughter that it is ok to be vulnerable and accept the emotions we feel. And the times we have stir many emotions. Your daughter already seems to understand the power of being present and listening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, important moment. It is truly a gift. I find myself looking for these gifts as we approach school too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, Madison, our nurturer and thoughtful girl. She's always been the one to reach out and touch and sit quietly and listen. She (and Peyton) are truly gifts to all of us. I believe that even at 10, they have a great sense of what is going on and how concerned we all are. And, yes, God will take care of us thru the good and difficult times. Hang in there. We love you! Hugs, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet moment and words to remember for whatever lies ahead in this tumultuous year. I'm praying for you and all the teachers going back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your daughter is very wise. Isn’t amazing when our children turn out to be a comfort to us during hard times?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

{40 reasons} #sol15

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. _____________________________________________________ Today my husband celebrates a big, BIG birthday -- and I'm so lucky and thankful to have spent  the last sixteen years learning about everything that he loves the last (almost) twelve years learning about everything that I love about him the last (almost) five years learning with my daughters why we love our Daddy. Created at canva.com _____________________________________________________ Happy, happy 40th birthday Jon!

An Interview with Educator/Momma/Writer Ruth Ayres Celebrating #EnticingWriters + Giveaway!

I love sharing book titles with close friends, so I'm happy you are here! I want to share a book that you must add to your to-be-read list. Ruth Ayres has a brand new book titled  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers   published by Stenhouse Publishers. It's another must read from Ruth. There are many professional development books available to learn about mastering our craft of teaching.   However, there are only a few that make a true impact -- and this is one book that weaves raw truth, research, practical ideas, and story all in one {cute} little package.  In  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers , Ruth allows her worlds to collide during the creation:  "In this book, I entwine my three story lines as educator, momma, and writer." (p. 6) And she does this in an amazing way through sharing stories of her family, adoption, children living in hard places -- and doing their best  -- and healing. She shares how we can use research to understand how to

{#sol15} 10 Tips for the Challenge

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. Last Saturday morning, I didn't need to wake up early.  I wanted to go back to sleep.  But instead my brain was awake and thinking.  Creating this list.  Writing this post.   Many of us are embarking on an adventure - the Slice of Life Story Challenge.  Writing, sharing, and commenting for thirty-one days in March. Want to learn more about the SOLSC?  Check out Stacey's post {HERE} about the challenge hosted by the "Fab Six" over at the Two Writing Teachers ' blog.   I hope you find these tips for the challenge helpful whether you are a first-time slicer (cue confetti!) or a year five slicer like me. 1. Before the challenge