Skip to main content

This Plus That: More Little Equations

This school year we are counting down the last days of school.  I mean, we all secretly count down the days, but this year for the first time we are doing it together as a school.  We are counting down the last 26 days of school by participating in an ABC countdown.  You know, A is for art creativity day, B is for busy buzzy bee day, C is for compliment day . . . and so on, until Z -- zip up your bags and zoom home for summer!  I have to say, the students are really enjoying each simple, yet fun activity as a break from the normal routines!

Well, Monday was M day (secretly that means there are only 13 more days to go).  M is for math activity day.  I teach reading and writing, so how was I going to manage this one?  Of course, we could read a book about fractions  -- Hershey's chocolate anyone?  We could write our own story problems using our names, or even write about why we love math so much because most kids who struggle with reading love math . . . There are numerous ways to integrate math, reading and writing.  But I have something better!

I recently shared a great new book that I discovered by Amy Krouse Rosenthal:  This Plus That: Life's Little Equations.   This was the perfect opportunity to share this selection with my students!

("M" day + fun math activity) x one perfect book = FUN(reading + writing + math)

After enjoying the book and sharing some of my equations, the students were challenged to create and write their own little equations.  Here's a sampling:

baby + toys = mess (Sehade, age 8)
Santa + gifts = Christmas (Khush, age 7)
book + read = happy (Rachel, age 6)
ice cream + toppings = yummy (Kacper, age 7)
bee + sting = ouch (Angel, 8)
best friend + angry = not best friend (Tristin, 8)
ice pack + patient = nurse's office (Carmen, 9)
friends + pillow fight = sleepover (Daniela, 10)
daylight + dimming = sunset (Cassi, 10)
reading + reading = improvement (Yvette, 9)  
papa + mama + baby = family  (Hannah, age 8)
D. Rose + slam dunk = MVP (Andrew, age 7)
water + waves = surfing (Tristin, 8)

Awesome mentor text + Great thinkers = Life's new equations

Comments

  1. These are awesome Michelle! I especially like the first one and the accompanying picture! How cute. And thanks for the book idea--I have ordered this and will use it next year in creative writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A blog recommendation + internet connection + bookstore coupon = a new book at a great price
    Love the kids’ equations! I now have this book and plan to use it extensively next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun way to wrap up the year. I love how you embraced math activity day with your new book. I ordered this book after reading your blog last week. My boys are enjoying it and I can't wait to use it in the classroom next year. Happy alphabet countdown!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny - I just wrote about a very different relationship with numbers (and a not so good math teacher in my past) - I heard Amy talk at a conference and need to get this book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun! I love both the alphabet countdown, as well as what you chose to do for the M's. Enjoy your last days of school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle, what a terrific way to do the countdown that your school is doing. I'll pass that idea along to everyone. And, I'm glad you shared the use of the book that you talked about earlier. I have the book ordered and am happy to see the wonderful examples your students wrote. Have a good final two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This such a great idea! I would like to try with 6th grade before the end of the year. Excellent lesson for reluctant and struggling writers. Thanks so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so excited to steal this amazing idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found these worksheets to use in my class! I LOVE this book! http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/This-Plus-That-Lifes-Little-Equations-Worksheets-911955

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found these worksheets to use in my class! I LOVE this book! http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/This-Plus-That-Lifes-Little-Equations-Worksheets-911955

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

{40 reasons} #sol15

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. _____________________________________________________ Today my husband celebrates a big, BIG birthday -- and I'm so lucky and thankful to have spent  the last sixteen years learning about everything that he loves the last (almost) twelve years learning about everything that I love about him the last (almost) five years learning with my daughters why we love our Daddy. Created at canva.com _____________________________________________________ Happy, happy 40th birthday Jon!

An Interview with Educator/Momma/Writer Ruth Ayres Celebrating #EnticingWriters + Giveaway!

I love sharing book titles with close friends, so I'm happy you are here! I want to share a book that you must add to your to-be-read list. Ruth Ayres has a brand new book titled  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers   published by Stenhouse Publishers. It's another must read from Ruth. There are many professional development books available to learn about mastering our craft of teaching.   However, there are only a few that make a true impact -- and this is one book that weaves raw truth, research, practical ideas, and story all in one {cute} little package.  In  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers , Ruth allows her worlds to collide during the creation:  "In this book, I entwine my three story lines as educator, momma, and writer." (p. 6) And she does this in an amazing way through sharing stories of her family, adoption, children living in hard places -- and doing their best  -- and healing. She shares how we can use research to understand how to

{#sol15} 10 Tips for the Challenge

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. Last Saturday morning, I didn't need to wake up early.  I wanted to go back to sleep.  But instead my brain was awake and thinking.  Creating this list.  Writing this post.   Many of us are embarking on an adventure - the Slice of Life Story Challenge.  Writing, sharing, and commenting for thirty-one days in March. Want to learn more about the SOLSC?  Check out Stacey's post {HERE} about the challenge hosted by the "Fab Six" over at the Two Writing Teachers ' blog.   I hope you find these tips for the challenge helpful whether you are a first-time slicer (cue confetti!) or a year five slicer like me. 1. Before the challenge