Skip to main content

{that one little word} #sol16


Slice of Life is hosted at the Two Writing Teachers
Join in and share a slice of your life. 
_____________________________________________________


Happy New Year! Happy everything!  I love the excitement that a new year brings -- a new beginning, a fresh start, a clean slate, a chance to try again.  January rolls around and my hopes and dreams explode with new opportunities.  

I also love the idea of inviting a little word into my life.  One little word that I can focus my thoughts around throughout the year.  One little word that I say daily and visibly display as a constant reminder.  One little word that provides positive hope, energy, and enthusiasm.  One little word that brings me peace in believing.  

Play. Faith. Strength. Breathe.  All words that chose me at the right time ... to allow me to live a richer, fuller life.  All that are now a part of who I am and serve as my reminder in the moment.

{Created with VanillaPen}

This is my one little word for 2016.  Happy.  I spent a year of taking lots of deep breaths and this year I'm ready to exhale with happiness.  I'm a happy person, but I tend to take life too seriously. (No, really.)  And focus on what needs to be accomplished. (Let's go.)  And sometimes I forget to find my happy in the moments of life.

This word crossed my mind as a possibility.  Then within a day I was inundated with this word everywhere I turned: emails, letters, cards, tweets, songs, just everywhere!  I smiled knowing that this word was screaming and waving, "Pick me!" and those goosebumps let me know:  Happy is my focus for the year.  Finding the happiness in each moment.  Focusing on being content, lighthearted, joyful, even sunny!

Happy is my one little word.  Happy everything!

And am I so happy that I'm right here sharing my one little word with you right now. 

A sign already sitting on my mantle as my reminder.



Comments

  1. Such a bright and sunny word. Your logo for it is perfect. May your happy grow exponentially!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so HAPPY that you found your OLW - it suits you well, as each of your previous words have. There is so much happiness in your life and all around - we just have to look for it. Enjoy living your HAPPY each day. Love ya bunches, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great word Michelle! More important feeling it and living it each day! Happy Happy New Year my friend . . . miss you ;-) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this: I smiled knowing that this word was screaming and waving, "Pick me!"
    HAPPY is a wonderful word!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, we have almost-matching OLWs this year! I can't wait to see what happy and joyful moments are coming for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 2016! You even have a theme song!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exhale with happiness - what a beautiful mantra!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your word ..it was almost mine, but I different word found me! Enjoy your journey.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love when your word finds you! I'm so glad you noticed your word. HAPPY will be a wonderful word to guide this year!!!! LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hooray for you and hooray for your OLW!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This reminds me of the year I chose "delight", and I loved it! Funny how even when you are a pretty happy person, it's too easy to so get bogged down in the ruts of everyday life that you don't really do a good job being intentionally happy! Enjoy your word!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an upbeat word you've chosen. I love it. Now I have the Pharrell Williams song running through my head! Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have learned that one can also retain--happy--despite adversity, challenges, and losses in life. It may look different than laughter, but it can be happy, just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy sounds like a terrific word! Did you make the sign?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy sounds like a terrific word! Did you make the sign?

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great story about how your OLW found you! Happiness rings throughout your slice. Sounds like you found the right word. Happy new year, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A great OLW for the year! Hoping for much happiness in this new year for you & your family!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

{40 reasons} #sol15

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. _____________________________________________________ Today my husband celebrates a big, BIG birthday -- and I'm so lucky and thankful to have spent  the last sixteen years learning about everything that he loves the last (almost) twelve years learning about everything that I love about him the last (almost) five years learning with my daughters why we love our Daddy. Created at canva.com _____________________________________________________ Happy, happy 40th birthday Jon!

An Interview with Educator/Momma/Writer Ruth Ayres Celebrating #EnticingWriters + Giveaway!

I love sharing book titles with close friends, so I'm happy you are here! I want to share a book that you must add to your to-be-read list. Ruth Ayres has a brand new book titled  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers   published by Stenhouse Publishers. It's another must read from Ruth. There are many professional development books available to learn about mastering our craft of teaching.   However, there are only a few that make a true impact -- and this is one book that weaves raw truth, research, practical ideas, and story all in one {cute} little package.  In  Enticing Hard-To-Reach Writers , Ruth allows her worlds to collide during the creation:  "In this book, I entwine my three story lines as educator, momma, and writer." (p. 6) And she does this in an amazing way through sharing stories of her family, adoption, children living in hard places -- and doing their best  -- and healing. She shares how we can use research to understand how to

{#sol15} 10 Tips for the Challenge

Slice of Life  hosted  at the Two Writing Teachers Join in and share a slice of your life. Last Saturday morning, I didn't need to wake up early.  I wanted to go back to sleep.  But instead my brain was awake and thinking.  Creating this list.  Writing this post.   Many of us are embarking on an adventure - the Slice of Life Story Challenge.  Writing, sharing, and commenting for thirty-one days in March. Want to learn more about the SOLSC?  Check out Stacey's post {HERE} about the challenge hosted by the "Fab Six" over at the Two Writing Teachers ' blog.   I hope you find these tips for the challenge helpful whether you are a first-time slicer (cue confetti!) or a year five slicer like me. 1. Before the challenge